VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for some time now I've been having issues with clunking noise coming from my driver site strut and significant play in the assembly. Everything seemed tight and no matter what I looked at I couldn't figure out what could be wrong. Figuring that it may be the upper strut bearing I ordered a new set of bushings, bearings and locking nuts.
Once I pulled the driver side strut I found considerable wear on the upper bushing.

Pretty nasty huh? Curious how it compared to the new bushing I picked it up and was thoroughly surprised that the new one was considerably larger. I must have gotten the wrong part right? Umm, no. The part numbers are identical! So I decide to grab the old one I had left over from the initial coilover install and found it to be larger than the one currently installed but smaller than the new one. Yet again same part number on this one as well, 1J0412331C.
I haven't pulled the other strut yet but I'm kind of curious if somebody can shed some light on the discrepancy in size of the busings.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Re: What's wrong with this picture? (dubmata)

If I got this right in the second picture it is:
old leftover / old damaged / new unistalled
The old leftover looks like it is a different design with lower collar or side bump on the bushing. The new one is taller because it hasn't seen miles of abuse. But it looks right
or it matches the middle one.
Do they all have VW seals on them? I would guess that the one on the left could be aftermarket?
This is a curious one.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What's wrong with this picture? (Dragonfly)

It's actually old damaged/old leftover/new uninstalled
They all have VW seals on them, two of them being manufactured in Germany and one saying made in Mexico (the leftmost one).

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Re: What's wrong with this picture? (dubmata)

So I think you found part of your answer. It looks like there was a variance between the Mexico and German molds. I don't know how old the leftover one is but maybe they updated the German mold as well. Those Germans are always improving things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts