VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about what your ACTUAL dream dealership would be like. I've noticed a void that a good, high-quality, well-informed dealership could possibly fill here in the Mid-Atliantic, but I want some information from real Volkswagen people to help me out. Take a few minutes and tell me what you think. If you guys know some good dealerships (e.g. Stohlman--right?) tell me what's good about them. I'm really very interested in giving not only "normal" people a great dealership, but a place that really, truly knows its stuff (technical, etc) about past and present Volkswagens and can really deliver to Vortexers as well as the general popualtion. PLEASE don't give me any nonsense (like free cars and hot girls, etc, as much as you may want that stuff), but the real nitty gritty stuff. How far would you be willing to drive? Is it worth paying a little more for professional work and know-how? How about a performance "wing" in it? Any and all stuff like that. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (mister_g60)

Mine would have a full-stock of Corrados both new and used. And everyone would pay profit so the dealer could offer good service.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

I do all my own work because I don't trust anyone else to do the work to the level of quality I expect. If I ever face a job that I must take to a shop due to lack of special equipment I avoid dealers like the plague. I go to specialty VW shops that have a good rep and are straight with me. For a dealer to win my business and trust they would need to have some serious VW gear heads that are passionate about Corrados and it wouldn't hurt to have some mechanics that dirve/mod them too.
Most dealers I've dealt with just keep replacing parts untill the problem is fixed. That's fine if it's under waranty, but if I'm paying for the parts and labor I want a through and accurate diagnosis of the problem before a wrench gets turned.
In my mind I don't think a dealer can operate profitably with this mentality. Dealers should stick to new cars under waranty. I'll take my specialty or modded car to a perf shop that works on similar cars day in and day out. Now a perf shop joined to a dealer might work. Bottom line is the place has to be crawling with gearheads who know more about my car than me and I know quite a bit. Otherwise I'm doing the work myself.

·
Banned
2,034 Posts

My dream dealership?...easy--->Honda http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

I'd say the number one, absolute, most important thing that differentiates one dealer from another is the people that work there. I've dealt with or test-driven or gotten work done at a variety of dealerships, from Honda to Jeep to Geo to VW to Saab dealers. And, the biggest difference is the attitude of the people working at the place.
If I call up two VW dealers, and ask for some oddball $5 part they probably aren't making $.02 profit on, and one place tells me they can't help me, but the other place tells me they can have it tomorrow, guess which place I'll be calling when I need something major? Or when I am looking for a new car?
I think the successful dealers know the importance of treating the customer right. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of a dealer's profits come from doing work on customer's cars and parts sales, not from new or used car sales. Heck, Saab dealers will typically sell for their invoice price on new cars, so they aren't making *any* money on sales. But, the Saab dealer I go to (Sportscar Centre on Erie Blvd in Syracuse) has such nice people, that I know several whole families that will be buying cars from them, and having *all* their service done there, for years to come.
So, if you really are thinking about starting a dealership, I hope you've got lots of stong networked connections in the auto industry where you live. That way, you'll be able to hire a competent staff right off the bat.
Another thought - no matter what group you wanna cater to, if you are gonna run a dealership, you'll need to treat Joe Schmoe KnowNothingOffTheStreet well. The common person is gonna be the bulk of your profit. If ya think about it, the vast majority of the public is gonna own a car. Us "car enthusiasts" are probably a very small percentage of the general public, and we're gonna be the types who are gonna shop for the best bargian, and do a lot of work ourselves, so we won't be very profitable anyways.
Profits = Success, and
Happy customers + tight business management = Profits.
-Nate

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (SaabFan)

PS - I've thought about owning or managing a car dealership, and I think if I ever did own, it would probably be a small, import-only used place, not a franchised new dealer. Would give you more flexibility, and be easier to establish. Plus, if you tried to get a reputation for having or being able to find "cool" older cars (Corrados, e30 M3's, old Porsches, whatever) then you'd probably become well known enough to be profitable.
-Nate

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (thetatau87)

quote:[HR][/HR]I do all my own work because I don't trust anyone else to do the work to the level of quality I expect. If I ever face a job that I must take to a shop due to lack of special equipment I avoid dealers like the plague. I go to specialty VW shops that have a good rep and are straight with me. For a dealer to win my business and trust they would need to have some serious VW gear heads that are passionate about Corrados and it wouldn't hurt to have some mechanics that dirve/mod them too.
Most dealers I've dealt with just keep replacing parts untill the problem is fixed. That's fine if it's under waranty, but if I'm paying for the parts and labor I want a through and accurate diagnosis of the problem before a wrench gets turned.
In my mind I don't think a dealer can operate profitably with this mentality. Dealers should stick to new cars under waranty. I'll take my specialty or modded car to a perf shop that works on similar cars day in and day out. Now a perf shop joined to a dealer might work. Bottom line is the place has to be crawling with gearheads who know more about my car than me and I know quite a bit. Otherwise I'm doing the work myself.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, what he said. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (thetatau87)

quote:[HR][/HR]I do all my own work because I don't trust anyone else to do the work to the level of quality I expect. If I ever face a job that I must take to a shop due to lack of special equipment I avoid dealers like the plague. I go to specialty VW shops that have a good rep and are straight with me. For a dealer to win my business and trust they would need to have some serious VW gear heads that are passionate about Corrados and it wouldn't hurt to have some mechanics that dirve/mod them too.
In my mind I don't think a dealer can operate profitably with this mentality. Dealers should stick to new cars under waranty. I'll take my specialty or modded car to a perf shop that works on similar cars day in and day out. Now a perf shop joined to a dealer might work. Bottom line is the place has to be crawling with gearheads who know more about my car than me and I know quite a bit. Otherwise I'm doing the work myself.[HR][/HR]​
Werd

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (Black Lightning)

I've never been to a VW dealership that I'd feel comfortable leaving my car with. The parts depts at McKenna (HB) and Fladeboe (Irvine) are okay if you get the right guy (the Indian guy at Fladeboe lived near where I come from in England, so he's cool with me - plus he knows his parts pretty well).
But the idea of having the dealer work on my car fills me with dread. Even recalls (especially recalls, actually). So I do the work myself now I have a garage, or take it to Ron Wood / VW Specialties for really big stuff that I don't have the time for (daily driver y'see). They're the only guys I trust to touch the car without f..king it up.
However, my wife's A4 is under warranty, and she takes it to Newport Audi/Bentley/Porsche/Rolls-Royce (/Chevy.. cough) and they've been good. Cos they know that customer service is EVERYTHING, especially in NB, where you can essentially remove the money issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts