VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about what your ACTUAL dream dealership would be like. I've noticed a void that a good, high-quality, well-informed dealership could possibly fill here in the Mid-Atliantic, but I want some information from real Volkswagen people to help me out. Take a few minutes and tell me what you think. If you guys know some good dealerships (e.g. Stohlman--right?) tell me what's good about them. I'm really very interested in giving not only "normal" people a great dealership, but a place that really, truly knows its stuff (technical, etc) about past and present Volkswagens and can really deliver to Vortexers as well as the general popualtion. PLEASE don't give me any nonsense (like free cars and hot girls, etc, as much as you may want that stuff), but the real nitty gritty stuff. How far would you be willing to drive? Is it worth paying a little more for professional work and know-how? How about a performance "wing" in it? Any and all stuff like that. Is this something that you guys think we really need?
Thanks!
(Yes, I know this is the same one I posted in the Corrado forum
)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (mister_g60)

I would be most interested in a dealership that treats me honestly and fairly. I would like an nice, comfortable customer lounge to wait in while my car is being serviced. Salespeople that know their product and never say "what will it take to get you into this beauty today?" Onsite car rental/loaners would be nice a shuttle to the metro that runs on regular intervals during peak periods would also be great.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

No pressure friendly atmosphere. I'd like to walk into a VW dealership and feel like I just walked into my friends garage. Be able to talk shop with them, feel like I'm being helped not pulled into car buying or decision making. I also would reiterate the before mentioned onsite rental/loaners and a more regular shuttle run. It'd also be nice if VW or a dealership took more time to get into the dub scene. Sponsor clubs/events, competed on the modification market. A performance wing sounds cool as well.
As far as dealerships go I've only, and will only deal with one -- Martens in D.C.

·
Registered
908 Posts

the true bench mark is Sewell in Dallas, Texas. Carl Sewell literaly wrote the book on the subject "Customers for Life". look it on Amazon.com, it is the definative book on customer service.
They have all the feautes a customer could want (nice facilites, well maintaned, landscaping, loanar cars, ect.) and employies who treat to as you expected to be treated. I just whis they sold VW's.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (Jackasic)

"I would be most interested in a dealership that treats me honestly and fairly. I would like an nice, comfortable customer lounge to wait in while my car is being serviced. Salespeople that know their product and never say "what will it take to get you into this beauty today?" Onsite car rental/loaners would be nice a shuttle to the metro that runs on regular intervals during peak periods would also be great."
Imurstar your about to get all these things when your 337 gets here in a few weeks, along with nighttime service, and a really special friends.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (Corradodrvrfnd)

When i walk in with my front mounted Quaife APR stage III monster 337 with porsche brakes, they do warranty work no problem... thats all.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (a96bimmerm3)

The all knowing Jonny V says "Lots of hot chicks who dont know poop."
I add "Lots of hot chicks to keep me entertained and busy. Car service is just that, a SERVICE industry... serve on ladies."
Lates

·
Registered
205 Posts

1) No games: "Let me run this by my manager..."; "Well, we'd love to give you more for your trade-in, but..."; "Yeah, we're getting in 5 GTI 337's, but we don't know the VIN or commission #'s for any of them..."; "You know, if you did a 72 month lease, the payments would only be about $$$"

2) Know your product. This irks me to no end. My local BMW/VW dealer thought the 337 was a new BMW model. No one at the dealer had heard about the 337. If you don't know anything about it, just tell me. Don't try to B.S. a B.S.'er

3) Train your technicians and pay them for their skills. As an ex-tech, it frustrated me to see no-talent hacks with a toolbox waltz in and start working on cars. Pay the tech's good money ~ $25/hr, send them to classes, and you'll get a great service reputation.

4) Clean-up your waiting room, and make it customer friendly. Put in an isolated area for people with children, so the kids aren't climbing all over you while you're waiting for your car to get serviced. Have a few TV's in separate corners, with the volume turned down, and Closed Captioning on. Have current magazines and newspapers, along with a free soda/coffee vending machine. Little things go a long way here.

5) Have a good, friendly, parts staff. I hate going to the local dealer because the parts guys act like someone just stuck a hot poker where the sun don't shine. I swear they wake up each morning, crack open the window shades and growl, "[email protected] it, the F'n sun is up again!" Also, don't rape me on prices. I know you don't pay anywhere near retail, so don't gouge me for being a repeat customer.

6) Have some customer appreciation days. Invite customers to your dealership for some test drives, just for the heck of it. Hold a seminar on basic maintenance, or car care. Little things, again, that make a huge impression.

7) Have decent loaner cars. When I drop my BMW off for service, I don't want to drive a Chevy Cavalier, and pay $30/day for it to boot. Get some good loaner cars, and figure out a lower cost alternative for renting them. When I worked at the dealership, we gave all customers a new Taurus to drive, regardless of what they were in for. Also pays to have a reliable shuttle service, with at least 3 shuttle vehicles.

8) Get service writers that actually like cars, and like people. It helps if they speak english well, and have a touch of a personality. Why go to a job that you hate every single day?? The best service writers at our shop were the ones who would do everything possible to figure out what your concern was, spend time to talk with you about the "plan of attack," and they'd follow-up with you throughout the day. The worst ones basically told the customer what they thought was wrong with the car, talked down to them, didn't go for test rides, and never called to follow-up with questions or concerns.

Is this too much to ask for??

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks guys! This helps me a lot, and I'm still really interested in what it is you want. Honestly, I think the average Joe Shmoe is somewhat easy to understand and cater to, and I think I could do that pretty well. But I want the best dealership that knows their stuff, and most of all I want you. And that's why I'm so interested in knowing what it takes, what do I have to do to get YOU, the Vortexer, the guy that loves his car and sleeps in the garage--you guys are harder (as I would be if I had talent) because you work on your own cars and stuff, so you're almost untouchable (except my guys are so dang good--
). I want the enthusiast's dealership, that the normal people also happen to like due to quality, service, the whole 9 yards. Thanks again! Keep the thoughts flowing! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
720 Posts

THe salesmen, parts guys managers etc etc etc all must love and/or beleve in the cars. When i was a salesman i knew what products were good and wanted to get people to 1.Get exactly what they need for them and 2. Get the best value for their money.
A dealership where eveyone bleaves in the cars and wants to get you what you need to fit your life will get and keep coustomers better then any other.
Might even get my money 2

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (Schultz)

Southpoint VW in Baton Rouge, LA
They only do VW, and have grown from 15 sales/month to over 100 sales/month, and still treat customers as long-time friends. The service mgr and advisors are excellent. The technicians are VW enthusiasts too. Overall, the best place to purchase and maintain a VW!

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (thomasdh55)

my dream dealership would be the one i work at but everyone i helped told the truth and had the decency to give me the chance to earn their business instead of leaving to beat my price by $10 on the internet....well a dream dealership would also be one where the customer loved to pay full price. do did say 'dream'
little side note, most of my customers that are enthusiasts like myself are dream customers and we get to talk cars, upgrading, trackevents, etc. and they trust my knowledge. but there are alot of dickweeds too, as there are lame salesman.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

My dream dealership would be one that got my car in tomarrow

oh and they let me mod it extensively without voiding my warranty.

·
Registered
799 Posts

As someone who is currently shopping for a car, I have a few things fresh in my mind. By in large, my dealership experience has been horrid. It seems as if every one of the salesmen I have dealt with has been morally retarded, hateful jerks. Here's what I would like to see in my dream dealership.
1. Sales people are not on commission:
Hire people who don't need that to be motivated. If a person is not personally motivated and professional, don't keep them on the payroll.
2. Loose the games:
When I take my time to go shopping for a car, I want to be treated with honesty. I know why I'm there, and so do the sales people; I want to buy a car. Don't try to trick me into anything. If there is something that the salesperson thinks I should do, be upfront about it. There are so many of the games that just make people feel bad about the dealership, I have been played several times with the "You want ***.......Let me check with my manager.....I going out on a limb here but you can have ###" or whatever else can happen.
I want to be an informed buyer; I want to drive home a nice VW
I DO NOT WANT THE THEATRE
3. Sales, purchasing, and service should work closely together:
Reading through forums I have heard so many stories about how special orders are promised, and then postponed indefinitely. The customer is always right, but it is up to the dealership to keep its promises.
When my mom got herself a Sentra not to long ago, the salesman convinced her to buy what was called the "Gold" Service Package, and paid quite a bit. The service was supposed to include detailing the car and protecting the inside of the car with some special dealership only fantastic stuff that would keep the car looking new for 10 years, among other things. When she took the car in for the gold treatment, the service department had no clue what she was talking about. They ended up vacuuming the floor and wiping the dashboard with a damp rag.
4. Price your products accurately.
I don't have an hour long discussion with the cashier to set the price I will pay for an orange, why should I have to with a car. You have to sell the cars to keep your dealership open, and pay the good honest people who work for you. I understand that exchanging money for product or service is how our society works. Give me the best price you can on your product, and I will return to you for all my car needs, and I will send all my fiends to you as well. If it costs you more to be the Dream Dealership, then it costs you more, and your prices will reflect this, that's fine. The sticker price should be all inclusive of everything I have to pay for me to leave with that car.
5. Your people should impress me.
I want to believe that there is a reason these people are professionals. This is their choice job; they love cars even more than me. They are trained constantly, attend seminars, and read up on their product. They know more than I do, after all, they spend all day doing this.
6. I'm your not your customer, I am your guest and client.
Treat me nice and I will come back. Remember: after I leave you still have a job to do. I will need to be reminded when it's time for scheduled maintenance, and if I ask for it, when other things I may want to improve my car with are available.
7. You are my one stop shop.
You should carry everything I need, or be happy to order it for me. I'm going to be upgrading my car, but I want my warranty to remain valid, no matter what I do (with in reason of coarse). Sell me the enthusiasts’ warranty.
Do this, and I will go the extra distance to find you, and I will buy from you again and again, but I really won't matter in any case, because you will have so many other customers doing the same

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (RobbieIG)

my dream dealrship?
one where me and my gf can get freaky
while my car isnt gettin freaked by the mechanics

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (s3GTI)

RobbieIG, you have the dream dealership listed. and it would work if people came in and bought it at sticker. that would fix everything. you want the car, we have or can get the car, here is what you pay. for it to work, there needs to be no price negotiation. but it seems, everyone wants to have everything you want above AND get the car close to invoice. what other product out there goes for 2% profit margin? none, it doesn't work. so if we would all pay the sticker listed and get non commissioned salesman we'd have a much more ideal dealership

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (M this 1!)

quote:[HR][/HR]but it seems, everyone wants to have everything you want above AND get the car close to invoice. what other product out there goes for 2% profit margin? none, it doesn't work. so if we would all pay the sticker listed and get non commissioned salesman we'd have a much more ideal dealership[HR][/HR]​
When I bought my Jetta, I did not get it close to invoice. Granted I felt I got a good deal, but you know what invoice is if you find out the residuals for the car.
With the 337 I will pay MSRP. I believe it is a good price for a special car.But I also want to get a decent amount on my trade in.When I see KBB or other sites value my car for less than what I think it is worth,I don't think it is fair.
(Here is my figuring,the price for my car when new was $23,600,take off about a thou a year just on depreciation,3 years so $20,600, my car has been to all it's required maintenance and oil changes,I've fixed everything that has gone wrong with it,window regulators,MAF..)and it currently has 34,700 miles, for 3 years that is less than 12,000 miles per year(average is 12 to 15,000), It is a VR6 GLS 5 speed, leather interior ,and CD changer in the trunk. let's take off another $2000 grand for excess wear(which it does not have...but realistically you can get Jetta 1.8T new in similar trim for about $20,000+) so that leaves me with $18,000.
The Dealer will not give me $18,000 for this car,why? because they like KBB and others based the worth of the car on invoice not MSRP which is what you and I pay.
the residuals for my car at the time of purchase was about $19,000 to $20,000.
invoice was also in this range. KBB valued my car for trade in at around $14,000(perfect CONDITION).
You and I know the dealer will turn around and sell this car for the above $18,000(certified pre-owned bla bla bla shouldn't cost them more than a grand).
I know I could probably sell the car and get this much but I'd rather not deal with any things that come up with the new owner(as I'm sure the new owner would rather pay the same to get a certifed car from the dealer than no guarantees from me).So my gripe is that if dealers want to treat me good an earn my repeat business,meet me halfway in the trade in issue.
Sorry if the above was a little of topic.
Give me salesmen that know the product,(when I first went to inquire about the 337,(I was picking up my car to repair the trunk latch),the salesman had know clue about what i was talking about,(he told that 5 other people had inquired about GTIs that day)he tried to get me into a black GTI VR6(hello, I'm driving a VR6 Jetta
) and then tries to sell me on a Passat,I left.
The other dealers I went to actually knew what I was talking about and were as enthusiastic about this as I was,(the manager was holding the second spot for himself,gave it to me
)
the other dealer got me a # 3 spot and required less money deposit and no "dealer profit fee" on top of MSRP(1st dealer is pulling this bull
)
The Salesman at Gunther the dealer I bought my Jetta from actually drives VW's in some SCCA events.(Gunther Btw is selling me the car at MSRP.)
Also a free loaner car,or a cutrate on rentals.
again sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (gizmopop)

quote: Here is my figuring,the price for my car when new was $23,600,take off about a thou a year just on depreciation,3 years so $20,600
You are a winy little baby who know nothing about anything. Where do you come up with this stuff? You should just be quite when you don't know what you're talking about, cause you sound silly.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: what's your dream dealership? (vwdope)

quote:[HR][/HR]quote: Here is my figuring,the price for my car when new was $23,600,take off about a thou a year just on depreciation,3 years so $20,600
You are a winy little baby who know nothing about anything. Where do you come up with this stuff? You should just be quite when you don't know what you're talking about, cause you sound silly.[HR][/HR]​
If you would have bothered to read the full post I actually valued my car at $18,000, that is $5000 off the original price of the car.
$1000 a year depreciation, used to be the common consumer guide several years ago,(granted inflation and other factors probably change this amount, but cars are being built better than before)
You then subtract more money for mileage, wear and tear, undocumented history of the car etc.. Other things factor in as well , the safety of the vehicle, quality reports ...To this end I subtracted an extra $2000 dollars.(As I stated before I have the full history of my vehicle,and It is below the average on mileage)
Besides all this,this is a forum.Someone asked for an OPINION on a dream dealership. Someone else posted an opinion on why people want to buy a car close to invoice.I then posted my opinion on why people try to do so.
Have you gone new car shopping or traded in your old car recently ? The banks have a list called residuals that are released monthly. They use this list to calculate loan amounts for new and used car purchases. This amount is definately not MSRP.The bank is willing to lend you(your credit allowing) the actual amount of the cars worth(invoice) rather then MSRP,(usually works anyway because alot of people put down payments and deal). The Car dealer knows the invoice price of the car,but will try and sell it for MSRP.You the customer will almost NEVER get the car for invoice because there is no profit to the dealer(the rare occasion that you do,the dealer has probably made the difference of another customer anyway,1 out of the 100's is insignificant)
So let's say you accept the price of MSRP,the dealer makes profit and everyone is happy.3 years down the road a car is released that you want to trade in for.(Remember the dealer has already made a $1500 to $2000 profit of your car at the onset).You car that was worth $23,000 according to MSRP 3 years ago is now worth according to KBB or NADA close to $10,000 less than that amount $14,000.If you accept this amount (provided you actually get this amount)they will then turn around and sell this car for a couple of thou more than $14,000. So you have basically been taken for a total amount of $ 4000 some dollars.
Sound fair to you?

BTW vwdope it was the whining and bitching and moaning from people like me that help get the 337 over here.

[Modified by gizmopop, 10:10 AM 4-9-2002]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts