VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got around to ordering my new components.
I posted about this a while back, but here's my story - I've got part of a nice custom stereo installed in my '92 Corrado SLC. I have an a/d/s amp custom installed in the trunk sidewall, Alpine speakers all around, with custom mounted components in the doors, and a POC Sony HU that the second owner put in.
I figured I'd start out by replacing the HU and adding a CD changer. I ordered a Blaupunkt Heidelberg, and the Blau in-dash 5 CD changer, as I have an empty DIN slot in the dash where the first owner had an EQ.
A question about speakers, though:
The first owner had Alpine speakers installed all around. I really like the way that they sound - nice crisp imaging, generally pretty good. But, they are now 10 years old. I'm gonna keep them for a while, unless they start sounding like crap, but if a speaker is well taken care of, does it have a "service life?" Can speakers get "worn out?" I know that these are silly questions, but even though I understand a good bit about speakers in general, this is something that I'm not sure of.
Thanks!
-Tim

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: Wheee!!! New components ordered! (SilverSLC)

As far as i know speakers can not wear out. The only part of the speaker that i know can wear out are the surrounds. That is why people are so big on having rubber surrounds instead of foam. The best thing you can do other than listening to them is look at the surrounds and see if there are any tears, holes, creases, etc. Other than that as far as i know the spearks should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.