VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
messed camber?

I recently finished putting a transmission into my 84 Jetta Gli. After putting it all back together I noticed that the right front wheel stuck out about 1-2 inches away from the car and also was at an angle with the top slanted away from the car (negative or positvie camber I think its called?). I had to take the axles off on both sides when I was replacing the trans, and did not remove them by taking off the big nut that is in the hub of the wheel because I couldn't get it to budge. Instead I removed the struts and brake assembly and pulled the hub off the axle, them just pushed it back on when I put the assembly back together.So basically I have two questions 1.) what is up with my axle? 2.) how do you take the nut off the hub?, I know that in some cars there is a cotter pin, but did not see one, or anything holding it in, what gives?

[Modified by Nickswagen, 6:23 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: messed camber? (eurotrashrabbit)

I don't understand what you mean, there are no cotter pins? I put the wrench on that nut and jumped on it many times and it didn't budge, besides that how do I fix the camber?

·
Registered
20,310 Posts
Re: messed camber? (Nickswagen)

Sounds like you may have messed up the CV joint. I'm guessing that when you removed something, you pulled the CV joint apart and that it didn't go back together when you re-installed it. I also think you may have screwed up the camber when you removed the strut from the knuckle.
As far as getting the axle nut off, I use a 3/4" drive impact gun w/ a 30mm impact socket.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Re: messed camber? (millerwj)

and if you cant get access to that impact, use a breaker bar and a long pipe as eurotrashrabbit said. But instead of trying to jerk it loose try applying a good amount of presure on the bolt with your pipe, keep the presure on it and it should come loose, it may take 30 seconds or so....but it will work....good luck

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

You removed the two 17mm bolts holding the hub on the struts presumably, they're adjuster bolts, the top bolt has eccentric washers on it, turn the bolt to adjust it back. It should be set up with a camber gauge though. The nut can be very tight on the cv.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: messed camber? (Vdubs)

thanks for the input, I'll try the adjusters on the strut to fix my camber. Where can I get a camber guage?, is it expensive?

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

You can get them quite cheap, it's only a spirit level that has degrees on it. You could use a spirt level and tilt it in 1/2 the bubble.

[Modified by Vdubs, 2:21 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: messed camber? (Vdubs)

what degree should my camber be set at?, is it supposed to be perfectly straight, or a little off?

·
Registered
20,310 Posts

You want the camber to be ~ 0.5 degrees negative (top in more than the bottom).
As I read your first post again, I doubt it's the CV joint problem. I'm guessing that you didn't remove the ball joint from the knuckle, so you couldn't have pushed it out. Check your strut mount bolts again. As has been said, one has an eccentric washer set on it. That one goes on the top. If you don't have a camber gauge, a good idea is to mark where the washer is on the strut housing before you take it apart. At least then, you can get it pretty close to where it was.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: messed camber? (millerwj)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sounds like you may have messed up the CV joint. I'm guessing that when you removed something, you pulled the CV joint apart and that it didn't go back together when you re-installed it. [HR][/HR]​
I know this situation. After putting on new suspension went for a test drive. everything was working great. then all of a sudden 'CLUNK' car no move good no more.
pulled the wheel off, gave the rotor a nice kick, voila problem solved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts