VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my car with the 16V for a 92GTi already installed. I am going to order wheel bearings today but I want to make sure I order the right ones. Should I order ones for a MKI or MKII?
ALSO, will rolling my car around the paint shop with no axles ruin my bearings? I don't see how it would, but I read that it will.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Re: Wheel bearing (front) question. Does a 16V change anything? (derschnellstemann)

All A1 spindles use the same wheel bearings, even if there's a 16V. From what I've heard rolling the car around at all with out the axles will ruin the bearings. I usually use a bolt with larger washers on both ends if I need to roll the car around without axles.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: Wheel bearing (Fast2.0L)

I keep a handfull of old stubaxles around so I can roll cars around without axles.
It WILL ruin your bearings immediately if you try to roll with out something to keep the bearing together.
If you've ever replaced a front wheel bearing and know how it's put together...you would understand immediately.
When you tighten down that 30mm nut you're not only tightening the axle but you're keeping the bearing together.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Wheel bearing (vdubspeed)

I just disassembled one of my bearings here at work and I see what you are saying. I will just get some bolts and washers to hold the new bearing together while its being painted.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.