VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna know how you can tell which wheel bearings are going. Is there a way to tell without taking off the wheels. Should these be replaced in pairs, all four . I think they are all independant. How much are wheel bearings , I was quoted $47 Dollars Canadian , is this good , or can I get it cheaper. Are they hard to change, I've got a german dictionary-Can I do them myself , or is it too complicated to do.If so, how much have any of you guys paid for labour of this. I am in Canada , keep in mind, But I know you guys down south can help me here.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Re: Wheel Bearing Questions (2FST8v)

they are pretty easy, except getting the races out. those can be a b*tch. i'm sure someone else can give you much better instructions than i. i've only done the rear wheel inner and outer wheel bearings on my drums.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Usually the bad bearing will make more noise when its outside on a turn and less straight ahead or on the inside of a turn. Also when worn you can check for play in the wheel, jack it up, grab the top and bottom and check for any wobble. In back, the bearing may just be loose and not actually worn if there is play and no noise.
I wrote a page on replacing the fronts:
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/FrontWheelBearing.shtml

·
Registered
626 Posts
Re: Wheel Bearing Questions (VWCaddy)

You only need to replace the bad bearings. You dont have to replace 'em as an axle set or anything. You might as well take a look at them all while you're doing it, though. Seems to me that $47 Canadian is a reasonable price.. Unless you mean apiece.. Then you might hunt around a bit for better prices.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Jack the car and spin the wheel, it's shouldn't make any noise, if it rumbles even a bit it needs replacing, it's more often the rear than the front. If you haven't done that sort of thing before it would be safer to have it done by a mechanic or atleast get someone who has to help, the front bearings need a hydraulic press. You could expect to pay 1 hr labour for each bearing at a shop plus the parts (£10 for the rear and £15 for front each wheel, over here).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.