VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 17" wheels from a newer Town Car ('02-05 I think) that I'm selling, and I've had a few people ask me what they fit. They measure about 8.5 inches from lip to lip. They seem too wide for my Lincoln ('88) without using a spacer, but I need to know if they will fit any Town Cars from the mid '90's on up. Anyone an expert at this sort of thing?
Thanks.

· Registered
21,174 Posts
Re: Wheel Compatability Question- Ford/Lincoln Content (jettagli1991)

Those wheels only rate a '4' on the Lincolnmeter whereas mid 90's cars require wheels with a rating of '6' or greater or there will be compatibility issues.
Honestly I don't know but they are good looking wheels.

· Registered
2,193 Posts
Re: Wheel Compatability Question- Ford/Lincoln Content (Merc-MarkO)

Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »
Those wheels only rate a '4' on the Lincolnmeter whereas mid 90's cars require wheels with a rating of '6' or greater or there will be compatibility issues.

Like Merc-MarkO said, the Lincolnometer will help determine what they are compatible with. Should anything be amiss, it will give warning signs to alert you of incompatible Lincolnity.

· Registered
4,285 Posts

The offset of the Panther wheels changed for MY2003, when they went to rack-and-pinion steering and redesigned the front suspension. Thus, those wheels won't fit any pre-2003 cars. They should fit the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis 2003+, though I'm not certain of that.
-Andrew L

· Registered
4,285 Posts

On second thought...are you sure those wheels in the photo are Town Car wheels? I think they're for an Aviator, and my interchange book seems to agree. In that case, they will fit 2002+ Aviator, Mountaineer, Explorer.
-Andrew L

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Wheel Compatability Question- Ford/Lincoln Content (rimtrim)

Quote, originally posted by rimtrim »
The offset of the Panther wheels changed for MY2003, when they went to rack-and-pinion steering and redesigned the front suspension. Thus, those wheels won't fit any pre-2003 cars. They should fit the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis 2003+, though I'm not certain of that.
-Andrew L

Really? If so, thats very good to know. I thought I remember seeing them on 2002 models? I think they have a wheel for the Aviator that looks the same, but with a different bolt pattern. There might even be a 6-lug version? This bolts right up on my '88, but it looks like it would rub on the frame with a tire on it.
Thanks for the info everybody, keep it coming.

· Registered
4,285 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jettagli1991 »
I think they have a wheel for the Aviator that looks the same, but with a different bolt pattern. There might even be a 6-lug version?

That may well be the case...my wheel book is a little out of date, and Lincoln has so many alloys that look very similar that I've lost track. Figuring out which center cap fits which wheel is a lot of fun
BTW, a 6-lug would be for a Navigator. The Aviator is 5-lug.
Quote, originally posted by jettagli1991 »
This bolts right up on my '88, but it looks like it would rub on the frame with a tire on it.

Exactly...the bolt circle didn't change, but the offset changed significantly. If you were able to bolt them up to a pre-03 car, it would look like a mail truck, with the wheels tucked way in

-Andrew L

· Registered
4,864 Posts

If they're from a Town Car, they'll fit the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis for sure. They may also fit on the Ranger and the Explorer. From what I remember Ranger and Explorer wheels were never meant to fit the Panther cars, but have the right Bolt pattern and offset for them. The 2005+ Mustang is also roughly compatible with Panther wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.