VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i have wheel locks on my jetta, they are the kind that have a pattern of knobs on the outside of the head of the bolt, unlike the more tradition style with the pattern grooved into the head
here is what i have:

as you can see i tried to extract them out, but i snapped the extractors
on ebay, i found this set:

i bought it and i recieved it today
i was thinking, and hoping, that the sockets would be something like the damaged nut and bolt remover you see in sears catologs
that look like these:

but they arent, the sockets in my set are completely smooth on the inside

now, sicne i dont have the car at my apartment, i cant start to experiment with my set, but can i use my wheel lock remover to remove my wheel locks? or can it only be used on a more tradition wheel lock set

· Registered
6,074 Posts
Re: (v dub boy)

Quote, originally posted by v dub boy »
What we do at tire shops:
Get an impact socket just slightly smaller/roughly the same size. Beat it on to the lock with a hammer...It should be tight enough to remove.
Rinse and repeat.

What we do in our garage. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
538 Posts
Re: (nm+)

Quote, originally posted by nm+ »
Me? I'd take it to a good tire shop (not easy to find I know)
Those guys seem remarkably able to removce any wheel locks. Experence.

When I broke the wheel key for my STi I brought it to NTB. They left gouges over EVERY SINGLE WHEEL. I brought it in there assuming they would use an internally splined socket or something - instead they used vise grips and a hammer. It was disgusting.

· Registered
3,853 Posts
Re: (lucalucaluca)

go to sears or walmart whatever, buy the "easy out" set or whatever it's called...
I lost my wheel lock went to the local wheel only shop, they put a easy out socket on & used a hand ratchet...
I was like dammit, I coulda bough that set for what they just charged me

· Registered
145 Posts
Re: (Illuminated)

The picture of the second set you have works considerably better than the one you received...we've used both at the shop with success though....same with the method of hammering and impact on...no reason for vise grips and a hammer, I don't know what those guys were thinking...somebody should be buying new rims for ya

· Registered
11,798 Posts
Re: (v dub boy)

Quote, originally posted by v dub boy »
What we do at tire shops:
Get an impact socket just slightly smaller/roughly the same size. Beat it on to the lock with a hammer...It should be tight enough to remove.
Rinse and repeat.

easist way to do it. youd be surprised how soft lug nuts are (even the locking kind) as an impact socket will shape it just enough to grab it.

· Registered
1,729 Posts
Re: (TurboWraith)

Weld a junk socket to it and zip it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.