VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mk2 jetta coupe with a VR so I have widetrack suspension and my wheels stick out too far so now the tire catches the fender alot. My question is with what offset and width would fit better? Im thinking 15 or 16s but I get a little confused when it comes to offsets. Any pictures to show me how it looks would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
if you want the wheels farther in the wheel well, you want a larger number offset.....if they are sticking out too far, look at the current offset of your wheels and add maybe 10mm to the new wheels youll need to buy...example...........if your current wheels are et30 and they rub the fenders, your new wheels should be et40, which will move them inward....

to be honest, Plus Suspensions really suck cause they cause fitment issues with mk2s, and really limit your wheel choices due to weird high offset issues....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had somebody tell me that if I put ET neg. 20 or neg. 25 they should fit. I can't remember the offset I just know that the wheels on my car are BBS' off of a Bimmer so they stick out about I'd say 1 1/2 to 2 inches or just enough to cut pieces off the outside of the tread in the front. I was thinking about some Diamond Racing steelies because I can give them the specs I need for them to sit behind the fender. I shoulda just kept the original non-widetrack suspension lol.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
this is the reason i chose to go with custom 5x100 hubs rather than running the widetrack suspension..

before anything else, what are the specs of your current wheels? stock/oem? or aftermarket? reply back with that info and we can steer you in the right direction..

i'll give you an example.. mk3 widetrack suspension is about 20-25mm's wider so if lets say you put on a oem wheel that's et35.. now with the widetrack, the wheels sit as if they are et10 or et15..

ultimately your basically going to be looking for wheels with high offsets like an et45 or maybe even higher to fit without rubbing..

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
or run skinnier tires..

also pics of your car will help too lol

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack-S
10,996 Posts
to be honest, Plus Suspensions really suck cause they cause fitment issues with mk2s, and really limit your wheel choices due to weird high offset issues....
truth....

this is the reason i chose to go with custom 5x100 hubs rather than running the widetrack suspension..
this.... i hated the widetrack BS because of the poke on them....

16's on my coupe When I got it. 16x8 et20 195/40's w/mk3 wide-track underpinnings because of the 5-lug swap. Wasn't a fan.

Have since swapped all the front end suspension componets back to mk2 width. custom hubs/dual-drilled rotors/custom axles...mk2 ball joints tie-rods control arms, spindles brakes etc....
15x8 et29-ish. 195/45/15's.... Soooooo much happier with the new setup...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have 5x100 adapters and I'm pretty sure my BBS' are OEM off of an 80's or 90's BMW. I will post pics as soon as I can. The rear is sitting on top of the tire on the outer edge so sometimes I rub and there is a notch carved into the tires all the way around. I really want to swap back to MK2 components but I'm not sure what that will cost and my MK2 stuff is all sold. It's very irritating. Nice coupe BTW ohio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've been doing some research and found that I need about 40 offset or somewhere close and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good looking wheels with that offset? I'm going to be switching to G60 flares which should help. I'm just tired of shredding my tires and would like to have some proper fitment without busting up my fenders like I have been. I would really like some Schmidt modern lines if I can get them in a high offset. Any more help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
How would I go about doing that? The plus suspension was already installed before I put the VR in so I'm not sure how to go back to 4 lug.
Oh gotcha.. I thought u had done the swap and might have still had the parts... It's been almost 5 years since I messed with any 5 lug or vr6 stuff but. If I remember right I think you could use stock mk2 control arms, mk2 tie rods, and mk2 axles to get the wheels back in..

If anyone else has more input it would be great. Like i said its been some time, I can't remember if you can use the mk2 tie rods on the vr6 spindles or if the axles got on the spindles otherwise use 4 lug spindles too

That and the mk2 rear beam is narrower than the mk3 vr6 beam

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If anyone has info on all of the components to switch back to MK2 width atleast upfront that would be awesome. Because I'm seeing that 25-30 et offset will work and I'm also seeing that 35-40 et offset will work. I hate seeing my tires all cut up because of the fenders and would like to resolve this issue soon.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack-S
10,996 Posts
If anyone has info on all of the components to switch back to MK2 width atleast upfront that would be awesome. Because I'm seeing that 25-30 et offset will work and I'm also seeing that 35-40 et offset will work. I hate seeing my tires all cut up because of the fenders and would like to resolve this issue soon.
If you are trying to get back to mk2 width and keep 5-lug... It's quite the process... I personally did it myself to run my new wheels... Most notable parts are custom hubs (mk3 hubs pressed into 16vbearings)& axles (mk2 16v axles using the 100mm inner flanges) , and dual drilled rotors to step down brakes... Mk2 16v spindles, 10.1" brakes (16v gli) and calipers, mk2 control arms , ball joints, tie-rods new brake lines, etc... When you are done your pile of mk3 parts will something like this...lol

And depending on your final offset for the wheels, you may have to grind the calipers down to gain wheel clearence if you don't want to use spacers up front.

Here's a somewhat better look to give you an idea how my wheels sit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.