VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Banned
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took off my snow tires yesterday. with my summer wheels i decided to put what were my rear tires with better tread up front. so i get them all on & take it for a test drive,.. front L wheel scrapes on caliper so I switch it up,..lesser tread wheels up front, better tread in back but never switching sides.... now getting scraping on R side front , no longer on L front. these wheels have been off/on this car for several years, same tires, same rotors,..everything the same. could my rotors have worn down just enough this winter to cause this? I was having no issues with my snow tires but those wheels have about 1/2 inch more clearance. is this a balance issue? alignment?

i should also add that in troubleshooting,..i spun the wheels around before they were completely tight,. looking for the scrape spot..no scraping til it was all tightened up.

front R caliper scrape.

Modified by chameleon78 at 9:48 PM 3-16-2008

· Banned
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: wheel scraping on caliper. (eyelashout)

Quote, originally posted by eyelashout »
this is a common problem.. you need new wheels...

but they were fine in the fall when i took them off,.. never scraped,..

· Banned
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (cra2y86)

i did think of grinding it down, but first was hoping that theres another solution,.. I'm not thinking the caliper is at fault here... I'm sure grinding it down some would solve the grinding but i want to try and figure out why it's scraping... it looks like a small scrape but its loud,..

· Registered
11,781 Posts
Re: wheel scraping on caliper. (chameleon78)

Did you do the brakes since swapping wheels? New pads will push the caliper out and can induce rubbing. Just run some small spacers, or grind it a bit.

· Banned
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: wheel scraping on caliper. (Uncalm)

I'll prob grind them some..
brake pads were done 10/2006,..ran on these wheels til dec 06,..and then from 3/07- 11/07.. no issues. no issues with snow tires/rims either.

side note: does anyone know the name of my wheels/ i've heard canadian corrado,. no name... also euro montes,... the po thought they were off an audi.

Modified by chameleon78 at 5:16 PM 3-16-2008

· Registered
682 Posts
Re: wheel scraping on caliper. (Uncalm)

Noticed you have the Ate calipers so you must have 11.3" rotors and with those brakes the smallest wheel you can run is a 15". What size are your wheels?

· Banned
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: wheel scraping on caliper. (Dan J Reed)

Quote, originally posted by Dan J Reed »
Thats a close rub man... I'd make sure the caliper is sitting all right and right... I'd go as far as to take the mounting pins out and make sure they are not worn... (egg shaped)..

but the prob started with the L side, R side was ok,... i switched wheels,..both sides back to front,..then the prob was on the R side,.. thats the part that stumps me. I'll def take this into account though dan,. thankyou for helpful info,.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.