VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote, originally posted by FV-QR »
it really seems like finding your cars "sweet spot" is key to the tire size vs. handling vs. weight vs. mpg battle.
for the miatas it was always 15 on na/nb and 16 on nc. same with the mini cooper - 16 is the sweet spot despite the optional 17's i have.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4852119
What's your experience with cars you have owned? I recently had to decide between 17s and 18s for my V6 Accord, and went with 18s. Hope I won't be sorry. This story is instructive:
Quote, originally posted by Sharpix »
My long term review of this:
Jetta Mk3 with 17": 1 broken rim / destroyed tire with a speedbump, the three other tires ended with bulges even when inflated at 36 psi. Had to replace bearings and shocks at 35k miles. Multiple alignment issues. A freaking annoyance. Looked good, but the price was to turn a reliable car into a problematic POS. Ended up hating the car mostly because of this.

Chipped GTI MK4 with 16": 6.5" rim stock VW rim with 225/50/16. *tires wider than rim*, can park rubbing the tires without hitting rim. Awesome. Tires inflated at 34psi. First set replaced. All Ok. Second set has been great. Tires are all right, no bulges, no problems. Shocks still in use, good work condition, not that 'new' tight, but acceptable. Potholes and uneven pavement with those tires are cake. Not even a single hit to the rim. Alignment always has been ok. Tires are wearing out perfectly even. Burnout cost has been cheaper
The 16"s have actually more traction in uneven surfaces, even when inflated to 34 and Torque steer is kept in check with the 16"s.
Low profile rims are just the ticket to problems. For me, never again.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4852119

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Techun »
for mpg/handling/performance?
It's always whatever will just fit over your brakes.

Not true. When I went from 16's to 17's on the GP it now handles better and gets better gas mileage too. Although due to tire size the overall diameter didn't change very much. It depends more on weight.

·
Registered
18,043 Posts
FV-QR

dude. my quote on top of thread...
the solstice i had seemed to like 18x8's, but i saw many autox'ers running 17x8 or 9. i once even saw one on 18x11's. thing had more tire sticking out the wheel well than underneath...
16-17 seems to be the right area for most modern cars - sedans particuarly

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
FV-QR

Downsizing to 17x8 this summer to save on weight/tire prices/better ride/etc.

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
Re: Wheel Size: What is the 'sweet spot' for your make and model? (stevehecht)

fat 15s. I'M SO BALLIN

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,120 Posts

For my car, 19s seem just about right.

20s look just a bit too big, while the stock 16s look really small and dated. The Sport 18" upgrade looks good, too, but better on the short wheelbase model. the long wheelbase version kind of needs the 19s to make the body look proportional 9and make the car look smaller)

·
Registered
18,043 Posts
FV-QR

thanks to rabbitmania. my nomination for post of the day...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

15" on both my Beetle and Tacoma. On my old Mk1 13's looked the ****.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Re: FV-QR (pontiac)

Quote, originally posted by pontiac »

Not true. When I went from 16's to 17's on the GP it now handles better and gets better gas mileage too. Although due to tire size the overall diameter didn't change very much. It depends more on weight.

Yes, it depends on weight. The smaller diameter wheels will be lighter.

·
Registered
41,822 Posts

Miata: best tire selection in 15" diameters.
15x6-7" for the street with 195/50 or 205/50.
15x8-9" for the track with 205/50, 215/45, or 225/45.
I have 15x7 ET38 wheels for my current 205/50 street tires. Conservative but lightweight and great steering feel (wider tires tend to make the steering effort heavy and tramline, IMO).

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

On my E30, I went to great lengths to find a good looking set of 16" wheels and 225/45-16 summer tires. 15" wheels look too small... 17" wheels look cartoonish. 16" is just right, and 225/45-16 was really the largest set of tires I could fit without having rubbing issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts