VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new wheels have a an offset of 42, i know stock is 35, will i need spacers? if someone can tell me the formula or tell what size spacers i will need to run it would be appreacited... oh and if i have to run spacers i want to bring them out to poke just a lil

·
Registered
14,114 Posts
Re: Wheels with a 42 offset...need formula for figuring out what size spacers (CuseTownGTi)

What size wheels - for example stock wheels for a MkIV are 16x6.5 ET42 .

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Re: Wheels with a 42 offset...need formula for figuring out what size spacers (CuseTownGTi)

Go for 8mm in the front, 20mm in the rear http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Those I believe are the numbers that I figured out for my 7.5" wide rims to sit flush with the fenders, adjusted for your higher offset

·
Registered
14,114 Posts

Stock wheels are 18x7.5 ET38 so those should be OK if they clear the brakes. You could add spacers to move them further out.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Re: Wheels with a 42 offset...need formula for figuring out what size spacers (dennisgli)

8mm front and 20mm rear should work out fine with stock size tires
(225/40/18).
I had 8/15 on 18x7.5 ET35 wheels.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Wheels with a 42 offset...need formula for figuring out what size spacers (pal)

nice, looks like im ordering some spacers

·
Registered
14,114 Posts

Just make sure that you order lug bolts too.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

Wheel track on all Mk4's is 20mm more in rear than front. That means you need 10mm wider spacer on rear than what you might choose up front. For an 18x7.5" ET42 wheels if you want the tires sitting right at fender lip, you'll need 15mm up front, 25 in rear. I personally would not want the rear wheels at wider track than fronts...it's not same as running wider tires in back on RWD car.
Here's the figuring:
For starting, and with an ET42 wheel, you'll need 7mm worth of spacer to get the outer edge of rim out same as ET35 7.5" wheel. But compared to an 8" wide wheel which are VERY common on Mk4's, you're already at disadvantage of approx another 6.4mm with the narrower 7.5" rim. This is not to say 7.5" is wrong, but just showing the need for thicker spacers if you're trying to get the fenderlip effect.
I know this because my previous Jetta had 18x8 ET35 wheels on it and the wheels lined up nicely with the fender lip. I used 8mm spacers on rear only... they were close enough to 10's.
Here is a link to a shot down the side I took of mine with the above configuration....
http://www.imagestation.com/al...idx=9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts