VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever use one before? My dad says the same style ones have been around forever but I just heard of them right before I got mine. I just put one on my truck and it took a little over an hour, but it feels OEM since it's real leather and if I had taken my time a little more and did a few things differently it would almost look OEM too.

website,
http://www.wheelskins.com

Modified by sideways89 at 11:41 PM 11-24-2008

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Re: WheelSkins (sideways89)

I have tried one on my old car. I liked the feel because its high quality leather, and it does add a meatier feel to the wheel.
However, I just think that no matter how well you install it, it will always look aftermarket. If I cared that much, I would rather spend the money and have the wheel professionally recovered.
So its up to personal preference. definitely a quality wheel cover thats a step up from the Nascar embossed ones you get at Walmart.

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
12,135 Posts

How is the fit? I like the feel of a nice leather steering wheel, but every aftermarket wheel cover that I have ever seen felt like crap. Their prices aren't bad, it would really spruce up the interior of my Impala.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FV-QR

Just make sure you order the right one (theres a webpage on their site that tells you) and as long as you pull the stitches really tight it will fit extremely tight. You can feel all the bumps in the back of the steering wheel on mine.

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
12,135 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Impeccable)

Quote, originally posted by Impeccable »
Maybe KATSKINS makes some nice ones

Are you saying they do, or are you asking if they do?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

I've had one for aprox 15 years. I think it looks OEM.... or pretty damn close.
It helps in that regard if the wheel spokes aren't too wide.
It's also held up very well... all I've done is perhaps use some black shoe polish on it once or twice.
Otherwise, it looks brand new.
A great product, esp for the $.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Re: WheelSkins (Rassig)

I had one on my golf. All the stitches were sortof a PITA but it fit really well and the leather felt a lot better then the plastic/vinyl wheel. When I took it off to trade the car in the steering wheel rim looked pretty much new so it was a good deal. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

I've used them in the past and was pleased with the result. As noted, the biggest difference is in the installation. DIY is fine BUT don't expect to install a Wheelskin in 15 minutes and have an OE appearance.
FWIW, I purchased a cheapie Prep Boys version for my truck 8-9 years ago and installed it in a hotel parking lot one evening. It still looks great and it's fooled more than one person who thinks that it's OE.

·
Registered
22,378 Posts
Re: WheelSkins (mgyip)

I put one on my Cherokee a few months ago because the factory wheel wasn't looking very healthy...I like it. Definitely gave some thickness to the wheel but no where close to my R32 which I love.

One suggestion though...wrap some tape around your fingers as when pulling the string it'll start feeling its cutting your skin.

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Re: (freedomgli)

Quote, originally posted by freedomgli »
I can't stand WheelSkins - I don't like the cross stitch pattern and the gap around the spokes is unsightly to say the least. AGLA or American Stitches is the way to go if you want to upgrade your OEM steering wheel.

The gap around the spokes can be annoying if you don't get it really tight. Those other companies offer a nice product at a substansially higher cost and down time to get the work done. For the price I think the Wheelskins is a nice product. I have used them before and thought the quality was very good; especially for the price.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Re: (JrodVW)

If you want the OE look you simply use "cross stiching". I've had my wheel skin on my car for 11 years and with a little kiwi saddle soap it still looks almost new.
Wheel Skins brand is great!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a black/black isotta on my old Jetta. Fit very well, wrapped the steering wheel spokes, looked much more OEM than the one in the OP

·
Registered
3,476 Posts

i LOVE mine; previous owner did such a good job i thought it was OEM til i saw the crappy wheel without one. amazing how a subtle change like this can really improve an interior's look. worth every penny. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,148 Posts
Re: (RAJetta1.8T)

Chalk up another fan. I had one on my 99 Miata. It was an early build of the NB and didn't come with the slick Nardi wheel the later builds had. I took my time installing it and it looked and felt great. All of my cars since then have had really nice factory leather wheels so I hadn't needn't to get another one.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: (Seabird)

I've used them before. Good product. Alot depends on the install. I found wearing gloves when installing allows you to pull tighter on the lacing w/o ripping the sh!t out of your hands

1 - 20 of 20 Posts