VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel?

1238 Views 24 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  MiCrO
Well erh... probably never.... but with the price of diesel costing 40 to 50 cents more then gasoline in my part of the country means that my cost per mile is the same as the diesel... I can get gasoline for 96 cents per gallon yet diesel costs 142 to 150 per gallon... I don't feel so bad now owning a 2.0L ... I'm not knocking the diesel but are fueling stations taking advantage of the diesel technology ????
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (Sheba)

where do you live??
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (MiCrO)

96cent!? what grade? I'm moving over to your state!!
See less See more

Maybe on Mars.......
See less See more
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (Golf 2 Slow GLS)

I went to Richmond, VA for Thanksgiving and gas prices were $.96 on the 21st and $.99 on the 22nd and 23rd. I honestly don't recall seeing any prices higher than $1. (This is for 87 Regular)
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (xavmozras)

i get 93 octane for $1.14 here on the eastern shore of maryland
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (MiCrO)

I live in western Pennsylvania... just outside the city of Pittsburgh... and that would be for a regular grade of 87 octane... mid grade is 107... premium is 114.

Diesel would have to be nearly TWICE the price to make the 2.0 cost the same to fill with fuel and even then the TDI has 30+ more pounds of low end torque, it's quieter at highway speeds and it will last longer.
Not to mention the TDI can run on 60 cent a gallon home heating oil (illegal) or biodiesel (more $ but better for the car and the environment)
A quieter idle is pretty much the only advantage the 2.0 has over the TDI, if you can call that an advantage....
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (Malathion)

i va gas has goten as low as 94c a galon
See less See more

When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel?
When it's being towed.

(I'm so funny!)
See less See more

it dosent
for example well say that gas for the 2.0 is 1.00 per gallon and for the 1.9 oil burner its 1.50.
If you get 30 MPG on a 12 gallon tank thats 360 miles on 12 dollers =3.333 cents per mile
if you get 50 MPG in the 1.9 on a 12 gallon tank thats 600 miles on 18 dollers= 3.0 cents per mile
so the oil burner still wins in cost per mile
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (H2oVento)

Seems like the diesel boys are getting the shaft on the price of fuel.
Isn't diesel "easier" to make than gasoline? I remember diesel costing less per gallon than gasoline.
Based on your numbers thats only about a 10% dif
david
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (david)

Damn!, you all got it good... I pay 2.09 for gas here in Hawaii... I guess its the cost to ship it here. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
See less See more
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (david)

quote:[HR][/HR]Seems like the diesel boys are getting the shaft on the price of fuel.
Isn't diesel "easier" to make than gasoline? I remember diesel costing less per gallon than gasoline.
[HR][/HR]​
I think diesel is less refined than gasoline, so it may be easier in some sense, but keep in mind supply and demand is what really drives the price.
I think the amount of diesel you can get out of a barrel of crude oil is more or less fixed (you have a little bit of room to work with, but...) I am going to guess that the other consumers of diesel or diesel like fuels far outweigh personal highway use - (trains, large freight ships, semi trucks, jet airplanes, home heating oil, etc)
So, a surge in demand for freight transport (trains, semis, freight ships) might spike the diesel price, which affects what the TDI owner pays. Winter months use more heating oil (which isn't exactly diesel), and could be putting some price pressure on us diesel folks.
-Steve
O.G. diesel owner, and proud ('84 Rabbit D)
See less See more
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (Stephen Webb)

I thought the price for diesel cost more becoz they put more Enviromental TAX on them...
I'm from HK, diesel there is cheaper than regular gas! (but Any type of gas is freaking expensive there
)
See less See more
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (aak97)

man a dollar for 87??? I can remember paying $1.62 for 93 about a month ago. One more reason that NY sucks too many taxes!!
See less See more
Re: When does a 2.0L get better gas milage then the Diesel? (CNY_VDUB)

95 cents for 87 and my 2.slow doesn't know the difference between that and anything higher.
I hate this state, but the gas prices are good, go figure!

OK, im going to be the one to make the smart @$$ remark....
The 2.0L will always get better gas milage than a diesel. You cannot run a diesel on gas, so therefore it would not move, therefore the M/G would be zero....however the diesel is way more fuel efficient that the 2.0.
cs

...just gets better every day... regular down to 89.9/gal
Quick sell your VW and buy and V-10 Excursion or a Hummer, the low price of gasoline should make up for the low teens or single digit MPGs you'd get. At least until the gas prices swing back the other way when OPEC members finally decide to reduce supply, then you're left crying when you hand over a $100 bill and some change to fill up your 44 gallon fuel tank.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.