VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

When I step on the gas....I hear this (not the sound of me hitting a blind guy)

502 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Quattrophile 
#1 ·
I get a clicking/ticking noise...
I just put in a brand new alternator, and i know that isnt the problem....(i thought that was making the noise)
It also ticks when im idle, and gets faster as i add gas.
Any comments?

#4 ·
Re: When I step on the gas....I hear this (Chuck IT 2002)

It´s your hydraulic tappets... Might want to replace them if the noise doesn´t go away in about 20 secs after starting engine. You might also be running on too low octan gasoline which causes knocking...

#7 ·
Re: When I step on the gas....I hear this (Chuck IT 2002)

it is prob because he is running such crappy gas and his lifters, I told him when I checked the problem, it sounds like they are inside his valve cover.
He should use all the crap gas in his tank and try some 93 for about 2 tanks.
How hard and HOW is it to changed lifters?

#8 ·
Re: When I step on the gas....I hear this (materrizzi)

Well I myself have to use 98 octane gasoline, 95 will cause knocking (don´t know if you have the same octane "scale").
Well anyway, to change the lifters, remove the timing cover and valve cover, disconnect timing belt, remove cam, lift out the lifters. If you are not renewing all lifters, remember which was where, as they must be placed in same bore.

#9 ·
Re: When I step on the gas....I hear this (Tobi)

Tobi, welcome to the Vortex. Someday I want to go to Finland for the 1000 Lakes! I don't think detonation is the problem here. If it was detonating at idle, watch out, she's about to blow! I think it must be lifter noise. It's pretty common if you get a little low on oil or if the mileage is getting up there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.