VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you think it is? I know the green car (the daily driver) needs new bearings for sure. The clunk is probably what then? The Tie-Rod ends?
Oh yeah, bout how much would I expect to pay for a wheel alignment on a 1980 roc?

-Thanks!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Re: When I turn sharply I hear a clunk in the right wheel... (MK1Scirocco1980)

alright.. wheel alignment... lookin at around 40-50 bucks, a guy in my area is 40 bucks but not sure anywhere else... uhm.. it is probably either the cv joint or a tie rod end... u might just need an alignment... i recently installed a new cv shaft and that threw my alignment way off and i hear the clunking also... check the tie rod end to see if there is any play in it...

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: When I turn sharply I hear a clunk in the right wheel... (grayfox)

what was that test again? Grab 12 & 6....shake like a mofo?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Strut bearings?

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: When I turn sharply I hear a clunk in the right wheel... (s-rocc)

yeah my cousin sad those looked old and worn out too. *sigh* Looks like about $400 is going into the front end of the car this month.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

bah, shouldn't be that much! In canadian prices, its like $100 for new cv joints, so thats $200 there, then an alignment which is like $70ish here....tire rod ends are like $15 - $25 each, so thats like another $50
Works out to like....ah shoot, thats like $400......nevermind!

of course thats unless your in the states, then its way less! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

A clunking noise while you're turning is usually a sign of a bad CV joint.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Get under the car and look at the right CV boot. If it is ripped, all your CV grease is on the highway and your A arm and the outer CV needs to be replaced. You can get the outer joint for $75. Easy fix, but very messy.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Re: When I turn sharply I hear a clunk in the right wheel... (chris24g)

You don't nessessarily NEED to replace your cv joint if the boot is ripped. I re-built mine once, saved me a bit, but takes a while and can be a pain. It depends on how long you've been driving with it ripped.
All you'd need is a new boot and some grease. Usually need a torch to get the dumb tire rod ends off. A torch and some lock-ease or whatever.
don't know if its really worth it to try and fix though, if your short on cash its deffinetly worth a shot.
its messy in a good way http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: When I turn sharply I hear a clunk in the right wheel... (DarthStitch)

well turns out there is no joint grease (on outside joint) boot is good, clamps are good, must not have put the moly-sulfide grease in there...(ran out the seams)
Crap. So looks like probably needs a new joint and boot and moly-grease...

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Today I got underneath the car and was able to jerk the axle back and forth and it did indeed "clunk" so you guys were right....all signs point to the outer cv joint. Luckily I have a new one laying around for just such an occasion.

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

no go...new joint and it still makes noise... Though I did fix some rattling and clunking

It's frustrating and very annoying.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Same noise or less noise? The inners don't go out nearly as much (I think I've replaced one inner, and about 6 outers in my various A1s.

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

well the inner one is a brand new lobro and the outer is a brand new GKN (formerly lobro if I'm not mistaken)
It helped slightly..but that *could* be my optimism talking. What I want to believe...
Slightly...it helped slightly.

·
Registered
917 Posts

Ok when you turn right, does it go "clunk, clunk, clunk" relative to the speed of the wheel, or does it just clunk once and go away? Does it clunk over speed bumps? It may be a bad strut bearing...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

It may be play in your steering rack...?, worn control arm bushings...upper strut bushings

1 - 17 of 17 Posts