VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was thinking...my hoses seem like they are in good shape and all but they ARE 6 years old and so...should I replace them? The upper coolant hose is NOT cheap - it's about $100 Cdn if I recall. I squeezed them and they feel firm
and as we all know, firm is good, right?
What about the heater hoses? Should those be replaced too? I saw something on TV and the guy was saying replace the hoses every 2 years or 48,000 miles or something, is that true, or is that just good preventative maintenance??

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: When is it a good idea to replace your hoses? (Red Baron Golf)

thats just really good preventative maintenance... if you want to somewhat service the hoses and such, get something similar to tirewet or something that is SILICONE based, not ALCOHOL based, and that will protect them, and clean them up.. dont use alcohol based products, because they cause hoses to shrink and crack sooner... Replace your hoses on an as needed basis...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] I saw something on TV and the guy was saying replace the hoses every 2 years or 48,000 miles or something, is that true, or is that just good preventative maintenance?? [HR][/HR]​
Yup, even hoses that appear to be sound on the exterior can be rotting on the inside. The hot coolant combined with the heat soak from the engine weakens hoses. The 2yr/48kmi is not unreasonable. But you are right hoses are expen$ive. You made it to six years? That's impressive. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif How many miles?

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I've got 140,000 kms on it now or about 70,000 miles. My wife's car is similar in miles but it's a 92!!! I'm thinking those babies NEED to be changed. But there is no bulging, no softness in the hose at all. Probably still a good idea to change 'em though, right?
*SIGH* Just more money that I can't spend on mods

·
Registered
12,103 Posts

When hoses were simple single units and a whole set cost like $40 I'd change them every other antifreeze flush (four years), but now that VW has gone to these "grafted" hoses that cost an arm and a leg, I'm more aggressive with hose life. Just be sure and check during antifreeze flush for internal degredation. Take top rad hose off head and look at that end inside (this is the hottest it gets so will crap out first here). The other element that would cause me to change hoses before they really go too bad is how car is used. Do I take it far from home/civilization? If you stretch hose life an extra year to save some $$ up front and end up having one crap out on a Sunday afternoon 50 miles from the nearest garage, you'll end up paying far more than the costs for a set of hose in towing and garage mechanic fees (they don't work cheap on Sunday's), not to mention that these exotic VW grafted hoses may not be available on Sunday, so you'll be stuck having to come back for your car on Monday...real bummer!
True story, happened to my bro in law, had to leave his Explorer up in the mountains, rent a car to get home then go back for car later in the week....spent enuff to buy two sets of hoses on that deal! When your car gets to "1/2 life+" (say a year more than what you consider the life of a car, maybe 10-12 years) I'd just change em out and be safe.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts

Whats wors on the hoses time, or miles.. My car is only 3 years old.. hoses seem ok, but I drive alot. 76K and that includes an 6 month rest that I wasn't driveing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts