VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first VW and my first manual. I have a 2002 GTI VR6 and I pretty much got the shifting down pat except with an occasional hill here and there. When shifting when do you guys shift into the next gear? I do it at 2 1/2 to 3000 RPMS. Is that good? Also is when you are say "rolling" in traffic is it ok to start in 2ND gear? I how far should your reve betweet gears? As much info as possoible would be great.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Re: When Shifting? (PimpnGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]This is my first VW and my first manual. I have a 2002 GTI VR6 and I pretty much got the shifting down pat except with an occasional hill here and there. When shifting when do you guys shift into the next gear? I do it at 2 1/2 to 3000 RPMS. Is that good? Also is when you are say "rolling" in traffic is it ok to start in 2ND gear? I how far should your reve betweet gears? As much info as possoible would be great.
[HR][/HR]​
Congrats on your first VW...and a great choice starting the journey with a GTI VR6. As for shifting, you're not going to see much power shifting between 2.5-3k rpm (not "RPMS," it's already plural
). I shift at 3k rpm when my car hasn't warmed up yet. After it's all warm and ready to rock, I usually shift all gears at 3.8-4k rpm. If I'm not playing around, and some dork boy is dogging me, or if I'm evading something
, I shift round 4.5-5.5k rpm.
It is fine to drop it into second if you're just rolling, though it won't pick up like it would in first gear.
What I can't address is the break-in period on your car. I do know you don't want to go out red-lining it, especially since you don't know lots about manuals yet. Hopefully someone will chime in soon enough.
Ok, well that's about all I can tell ya. Have fun with that car. When the car is out of its break-in period, drop in an intake, chip, short-shift, and exhaust on that sucker ASAP. You'll never regret it.
Welcome to the Vortex. Enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: When Shifting? (DaveNY)

Thanks for the reply man. So I guess I have been babying it. The highest I have been shifting to is 4000 on some occations. Give me a break down on how I should shift if I was racing someone? For example 20 MPH hit 2ND, you know what I'm saying. I never had anyone officially tell me how to do it. Also how come there isny alot of power in 1ST. When I'm reving first it gets loud and I want to move it to 2ND at about 15MPH. First gear doesnt really get you moving to fast it seems. Is it just a go gear to start moving?
Thanks for your help, Jarrod.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Thanks for the reply man. So I guess I have been babying it. The highest I have been shifting to is 4000 on some occations. Give me a break down on how I should shift if I was racing someone? For example 20 MPH hit 2ND, you know what I'm saying. I never had anyone officially tell me how to do it. Also how come there isny alot of power in 1ST. When I'm reving first it gets loud and I want to move it to 2ND at about 15MPH. First gear doesnt really get you moving to fast it seems. Is it just a go gear to start moving? [HR][/HR]​
Like I was saying before, I think you want to baby it for a while, at least for the first couple hundred miles. Be patient. I can't tell you how to race really...get your car dyno'd to see your shift points for max acceleration and to keep it in the power band...I think it's around 5.5k rpm for my car. Anyway, first gear has the most torque, so I don't know what you mean by saying it doesn't have much power. Think of it this way. Get out of your car, get behind it and push as hard as you can. Hard to get it moving huh? Ok, now, get someone to help you, then take over once it starts rolling...less power needed to get it going a bit faster huh? So really, first gear is to get you going, which requires a lot of power (torque). If I'm rolling in first and floor it, that baby squeels like a stuck pig, and zoom, I'm out like trout. You should find the same to be true. But damnit, take it easy for a while....BREAK-IN PERIOD!

·
Banned
648 Posts

Whatever man just floor it a coulpe times and shift at redline so you know what you car can do....then you can go back to "breakin it in" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: When Shifting? (VeeDubBBoy)

I think common sense should prevail during first 500 to 1000 miles of breakin. Most owners manuals dictate keeping the engine lightly loaded for that period-no full throttle! If you don't have enough discipline to do that then good luck at keeping the car in one piece.
My last VW had 175,000 no oil burning miles on it. Excellent cars.
Once you get a feel for the car and power curve you can decide how to drive it. Normally I'm for gas mileage so that means less then 3000 rpm shifts. When cold it is more like 2000 rpm shifts. When warm and want to go fast then redline everytime. I find my tachometer is little slow in lower gears too so must shift at 6000 in first and 6200 in second then resume 6400 for 3, and 4th. Otherwise I bump into the revlimiter...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: When Shifting? (TimM)

Absolutely, after you take it easy for the first 1K miles or so, take your new hunny out on some remote road and stand on it. Wait till your oil temp gets above 180 (giving the valve train time to warm up) and experiment. Stand on it hard and shift through the gearbox at 3500, then try it again (if you have enough road...) shifting at 5500 or 6000. Just feel what that throbbing VR6 can do. I guarantee, you'll love it, and your new GTI will love it.
And congrats on your new ride.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

The correct shifting points depend how much throttle you give her. I think most people would agree that if you're only giving the car 50% throttle, you don't want to redline it!
This is only a guestimate, but try this:
25% throttle: shift at 2500 rpm
50% throttle: shift at 3500 rpm
75% throttle: shift at 4500 rpm
Floored: redline baby
... better make that 5800-6000 rpm
quote:[HR][/HR]Also is when you are say "rolling" in traffic is it ok to start in 2ND gear? [HR][/HR]​
Absolutely! First gear is generally only needed from a complete stop, although it can be used from a roll on occasion when driving aggressively (use the "double clutching" method explained below).
Some other newbie tips:
You only need to put the clutch in to downshift and when the car is about to come to a complete stop. When I first learned to drive, I thought the clutch had to be in whenever I used the brakes. Not true! (duh!)
When stopped, don't rock the car back and forth by letting out the clutch. This habit will wear out your clutch very quickly! On a hill, you have to do this a little. My point is keep it to a minimum.
And one last bonus tip: "Double clutching"
When down shifting, give the car a little gas while the clutch is in. This stops the car from abruptly slowing when you let the clutch out. So for example: You're driving in fifth gear and you want to pass someone. Put the clutch in, "goose" the gas pedal (say 50%), then immeadiately down shift, let the clutch out. If you goose the gas pedal too much, the car will jerk forward a little. Conversely, if you don't goose the gas pedal enough, the car will still slow down. You want to get it so that the car stays neutral. That said, practice this when you have the road to yourself. This technique can be used with any gear (except reverse of course
). I never understood why this is called "double clutching" since the original "double clutching" technique is something entirely different.

Good luck and drive safely!

[Modified by graff48, 10:03 AM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: When Shifting? (graff48)

graff48: Your "double clutching" technique is really just matching engine revs to your gearbox. Double clutching is used mainly when a gearbox is used that doesn't use synchronizers and matching engine speed to gearbox is required on all upshifts and downshifts just to get it in gear (unless you have a "pro shifted" trans, etc.)
Matching the revs to gearbox takes quite a bit of time to get a feel for it. Next would be learning to "heel tow"-basically matching revs to gearbox on downshifts as you apply brakes (entereing a corner for instance). Stick shifts are a learning experience.
Something that really wasn't stated clearly is the clutch should be "slipped" as little as possible. Only in first gear to start and reverse to start out. Should be a goal to keep the clutch engaged as much as possible (not at a stop of course).

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

whoa, you guys are moving way to fast already.
There is no harm done shifing regularly @ 4000rpm. I really don't like to go beyond that unless someone on the road needs a driving lesson, then I really give it take it up to 6000rpm never pass 6500rpm there's no power after that point and you can hurt your engine if you do it often.
1st gear has alot of torque not speed. Drop the clutch and floor it in first, take it to 5000rpm then pop it into second. Your car is gonna move. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]graff48: Your "double clutching" technique is really just matching engine revs to your gearbox. [HR][/HR]​
I agree. I was under the impression that the original double clutching method was to put the the clutch to get the car in neutral, let out the clutch, then put the clutch back in to put the car in a new gear. I called matching the engine revs to the gearbox "double clutching" because I've heard numerous people refer to it as such. Thanks for the correction! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts