VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: When to change coolent? (VW97Jetta)

While on the topic of regular maintenance, my Jetta has 57k miles and I'm assuming that the plugs and especially the air filter (and also the blower fan filter) need a changing. I just had my water pump changed under warranty at 56k miles... should I have requested the timing belt be changed as well at that time?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: When to change coolent? (francismartin)

Quote, originally posted by francismartin »
No,
For the 2.0l Bentley recommends 96k miles. Go to http://www.vw.com, type in maintenance under search and type in your vehicle...
Good luckk.

I wouldn't wait that long to replace the belt, 60,000 is recommended by nearly everyone except for VW for some reason. But they also don't recopmmending changing the fuel filter AT ALL. I've seen MK4 2.0 belts snap long before 96k. The belt is less then $20...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well,
The timing belt is guaranteed to 100,000 miles if it's checked at 40k and 80k. I have the dealer check it to keep the warranty. The 2.0l Jetta 01 has a 100k miles powertrain warranty. I'll replace at 96k miles.
Thanks

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: (francismartin)

Quote, originally posted by francismartin »
Well,
The timing belt is guaranteed to 100,000 miles if it's checked at 40k and 80k. I have the dealer check it to keep the warranty. The 2.0l Jetta 01 has a 100k miles powertrain warranty. I'll replace at 96k miles.
Thanks

Haven't owned a VW for very long, huh......

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: (francismartin)

If there's one thing I've learned about VW, it's not to listen to their "recommended" (or lack thereof in some instances) service intervals....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: (RabbitsDoItFaster)

It has to be changed because the coolant loses it's lubrication and corrosion protection properties over time and it turns acidic and corrodes and deteriorates your entire engine and cooling system, especially aluminum parts. There is a big class action suit on GM because they claimed their DexCool coolant was good for 5 years or 150,000 miles and a lot of people now have engines and heater cores which are only good as paperweights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts