VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LED DRL's, I know Audi started that trend. All black wheels? Not sure which car company started that look. I think maybe it was only exotics that had them or maybe some JDM wheel companies.
They do look good on certain cars like the BMW M's, Maserati, and Mini Cooper (as well as some other cars).

On cars like the Prius, Kia's, Hyundais, Camry's, Accord, Civics, etc.. They just don't look right. Then you have your plasti-dip crowd that think painting the wheels all black makes their car instantly cool:

Black wheels are just overplayed, I can't wait till that fad dies out. I think chrome wheels will do a comeback since no one really rocks them anymore.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Black wheels are just overplayed, I can't wait till that fad dies out. I think chrome wheels will do a comeback since no one really rocks them anymore.
I think this should be filed under "ricer", not black wheels being rice, but because the majority of the black wheels are done with a rattle can and usually look like ****, in my opinion at least

And as for chrome, i have seen horrible chrome jobs that look bad also, so that happens too.

What you meant to ask is, when will ****ty fad's wear off? And we all know that answer is never.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
It's a whole generation, you can't fight it! Every time someone says to me "that car would look great with black wheels", I know they are under 30 years old. For me, I only like them in very specific cases (which is why I do have black wheels on just one car).

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't care for black wheels, and I don't like the machined/black look either.

I just doesn't look good on most cars. Some can pull it off, but does a base Jetta need machined/black 15s? REALLY?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
It's a whole generation, you can't fight it! Every time someone says to me "that car would look great with black wheels", I know they are under 30 years old. For me, I only like them in very specific cases (which is why I do have black wheels on just one car).
Over 30 and do not really like black wheels. :beer:
But I do still like white wheels. Especially on a white car. :laugh:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Isn't this question purely subjective? What color is better, white or blue kinda thing? Beauty is in the eye of those who think they wield it. Black looks better because... Honda isn't better because, well, because I own a GTI !!!
I personally think it's a waste. You spend mad cash to be "stealthy" about it? But that's just me. Nothing wrong AT ALL with black, or dark ass rims. It's my opinion, not universal law.

Since black is the best color, black rims look the best tho... See what I'm sayin'? Fads are like opinions. They change as we see fit. When we get tired of opinions, we lose more than a color change, or preference though.
We all think differently, and individually. Isn't that a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
All black wheels? Not sure which car company started that look. I think maybe it was only exotics that had them or maybe some JDM wheel companies.
Black wheels go way back, it hasn't been gone, just the 30s-90s covered them up with hub caps.

1896, Ford Quadricycle.

1901 Ford Sweepstakes (his race car).

1901 Franklin.

1905 Sunbeam.

1908 Ford Model T.

1920s Studebaker.

The murdered out look I would attribute to the 1966 TV Show The Green Hornet, the Black Beauty, thou the early film version of the 40s had a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr.

Here is the 1965 Chrysler Imperial Crown next to the Bat mobile.

The 1973 XB GT Falcon, '79 Mad Max film.

82 Pontiac Trans Am, Kitt from Knight Rider.

Hollywood magic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like most say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do get your point though some people's OCD and budget just make it fugly. Some people accent the **** out of of everything and make it look bad. I'd say black wheels look good on certain colors not really brand of cars. Spoilers, mirror caps, wheels, tint, lips, grills, valances etc are all things that can be colored to accent the car to make it pop. Depending on the body style you should accent certain things. For instance on the mk6 I think a black vinyl roof is on candy white paint with the spoiler and rear panels accenting the black vinyl top and tinted windows looks amazing along with black wheels. On my Carbon Steel Gray not so much it doesn't really pop and looks kinda tacky. Black wheels is not bad on the CSG but something like bronze, gunmetal, chrome I think looks better. There is a stealth look that is popular which I don't care a lot for. My 2cents for what it's worth.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I don't think it's going anywhere. I'm not a big fan, but there are plenty of cases where it makes sense considering car color. I'd usually prefer a dark/gunmetal/anthracite grey in the place of black. Just a bit more classy to my eye

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have the black M3 wheels in the first photo and will not be going back to black wheels.

Not because of the look but because of the effort required to keep them clean. For example, washed them to perfection a few days ago. Rotor oxidation completely covers them in rust after driving the car less than a mile.
This can be avoided to some extent if I coat or seal the wheels, but regardless, you dont need to do that as much with silver wheels.

Other problem is why I went with black wheels. Contrast.
I have a silver car so I got black wheels for contrast. Silver on silver would look stupid.
This also forces me to get a dark colored car in the future if I want to run silver wheels.

·
Registered
87,889 Posts
It's interesting to look at wheel trends (oem and aftermarket).

Metal wire wheel covers -> plastic wheel covers -> machined/silver painted alloy wheels -> chrome wheels -> colored/white wheels -> black wheels.

What trend will happen next?
Carton Fiber look wheels?

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.