VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
19,294 Posts
I don't understand why this is an issue. If you're looking at a brand new car that only comes with black wheels, change them after you take possession of the car. If it's somebody's rattle canned or plastidipped wheels - if it isn't your car, you don't need to worry about it. Black wheels don't look bad anyway.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Black wheels tell us who the old people are on the forums. They're the ones who start threads about black wheels being a fad and can't help telling others that their black wheels look like they're driving on snow tires or spares.

·
Registered
47,959 Posts
Black wheels tell us who the old people are on the forums. They're the ones who start threads about black wheels being a fad and can't help telling others that their black wheels look like they're driving on snow tires or spares.
Posts like this tell us who the young people are who can be ignored for telling everyone how they think it is.

(See how this works?)

I'm not sure from you post if I'm supposed to like black wheels are not. Please inform.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
i think it depends, sometimes it looks good, but on the black Q5 I saw yesterday the black BBS's just don't work imo. To each his own though.

·
Registered
87,963 Posts
To a certain extent.. true.
We remember when you had to clean your wheels to keep them looking nice.
Dark wheels were just a clear sign of brake dust and grime buildup- owner neglect.
But now we are lazy and don't want to have to clean our wheels.
Dark gray and black wheels to the rescue!

·
Registered
'93 940, '17 NPS50, '17 GSW 4mo
4,530 Posts
I don't think it's a fad. Black predates other colors except maybe natural wood. Besides, it hides brake dust.
lol no it doesn't.

if you have black wheels, you quickly learn that tires and brake dust aren't black...but rather grey and dark brown, respectively.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Black wheels show dirt and scratches much easier. I got dark grey machined wheels on the A4 and I prefer that to black.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Dark wheels were just a clear sign of brake dust and grime buildup- owner neglect.
But now we are lazy and don't want to have to clean our wheels.
Dark gray and black wheels to the rescue!
that's me, i prefer a dark rust colored wheel to hide the brake dust. some cars pull off the dark wheels look well, some do not.
but we all know real enthusiasts ride with black steelies on stretched tires to 10/10 each corner with their wallet in their pockets, not in their cubby.

21 - 40 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.