VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Perfect Excuse To Post A Pic Of My Car

Some new cars have black trim around the window, the grill and the bumper, such as my Fiesta ST. Black wheels look better on it to me and match the trim:

And my car came with red brake calipers. It's a thing, they made no difference to me, but since they came with the car, the black wheels provide contrast so that they can be more easily seen. My friend at work also has black wheels/red brake calipers on his Fiat Abarth:

For me personally, black wheels have liberated me from using that yucky tire shine. Since my wheels are gloss black, the tire/wheel package looks better without it.

And yes, with as much brake dust as my car creates, black wheels are a huge plus. When covered in dust, my wheels looks matte black. Some guys are paying money to plasti dip for that look, I get it for free by being lazy, Ha!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Black wheels can look good. Not really my taste but I don't hate them just because...

It depends on if it works with the overall look of the car. Certain bright colors, like white or yellow can look good with black wheels.

·
Registered
87,963 Posts
Definitely NOT a fad. Stupid assertion on the face of it. Here are some older cars with black wheels.

Not stock, but looks good.
Black centers with defined rims are very different IMHO.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
It's not just young vs old, because I am 54 years very old and still like black wheels in certain applications. But not always. Whereas I run into many 20-year olds that, no matter what car I am driving, say "that car would look great with black wheels." I like changing a car's look with wheel changes and other stuff, so I get it. But making the wheels disappear as a styling item isn't always the answer (and not all black wheels "disappear", especially those that are gloss black). And I am not one who calls this a "fad", I would just say it has become more dominant than it was many years ago, and that it shouldn't be applied universally. Case in point: my daughter's Mini Cooper, which started out as Red with silver wheels. I had the wheels powder-coated white when I had it wrapped pink. Black clearly would not be applicable, given the white top and mirrors. The white wheels still look good after we removed the pink wrap. On the other end, I powder coated my Fikse Profil 10s or my Cayman when I wrapped it from black to green. The black wheels look good with the other black accents on the car. See the side by side difference between the black and silver against the bright green. And finally, when I changed my McLaren to Blue from Black with another vinyl wrap, I realized that there was enough black content in the existing silver wheels that a black wheel would make the car look too modified, and I wanted a more understated look (if you can say that about a bright blue McLaren). And of course, the wheels have always been black on my 930, except when I bought it with gold honeycomb BBS wheels (that was definitely a fad for wannabe racer dudes). But Porsche Fuchs knew the value of good chrome or polished rim to accent the black center, which is how black wheels tended to be treated in the past. Note the OP said "ALL" black wheels.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Everyone talks about how buying rep wheels and fake splits suck and etc. But if you are going to spend all this money on super expensive fancy wheels only to paint them pitch black who's going to even know the difference ?

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Same With Chrome/Brushed/Fordged/Whatever, Those In The "Know" Know

Everyone talks about how buying rep wheels and fake splits suck and etc. But if you are going to spend all this money on super expensive fancy wheels only to paint them pitch black who's going to even know the difference ?
Car nerds will know my friend, car nerds. Same goes with any wheel or any car for that matter. Who knows what a Chevrolet SS is? Car nerds.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I agree, to each their own.

To me, black wheels already look like "Shop" wheels to me; the wheels your car wears temporarily while waiting for the "good" wheels and tires to get fixed and put back on.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Can we now talk about intelligent things?
It's a car forum. Why suppress a discussion about cars?? Just because you are indifferent to this particular subject doesn't mean people don't like to discuss these things. I could argue nothing that we discuss here is relevant or intelligent ;-) This place is a distraction from real life, a side bar on the computer when working on other things.

Would you like to discuss the half-century plight of the Tibetan people oppressed by the Chinese government? How about the issue of Juvenile offenders being tried as adults? Judicial bias and race relations? Water quality in Flint? Increasing entitlement spending in the US? Energy policy?

Why is it relevant to discuss turbo vs NA, manual vs auto vs paddles, German cars vs American cars, minor differentials in things like 0-60 times, aftermarket parts, car preferences, road trips, and new car models, but we can't talk about wheel preference?

Honestly, I don't know why one would want to spend time chiming in on a forum discussion, merely to say it isn't relevant. Isn't a statement like that irrelevant in itself? Just as you say, everyone has different tastes in wheels, people have different things they choose to discuss.

I'm for freedom of speech, freedom of posting, and freedom of thought and expression. The beautiful part of the forum interface is that you can' ignore any discussion that is not relevant to your own tastes. So, I respect your indifference, but can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's a car forum. Why suppress a discussion about cars?? Just because you are indifferent to this particular subject doesn't mean people don't like to discuss these things. I could argue nothing that we discuss here is relevant or intelligent ;-) This place is a distraction from real life, a side bar on the computer when working on other things.

Would you like to discuss the half-century plight of the Tibetan people oppressed by the Chinese government? How about the issue of Juvenile offenders being tried as adults? Judicial bias and race relations? Water quality in Flint? Increasing entitlement spending in the US? Energy policy?

Why is it relevant to discuss turbo vs NA, manual vs auto vs paddles, German cars vs American cars, minor differentials in things like 0-60 times, aftermarket parts, car preferences, road trips, and new car models, but we can't talk about wheel preference?

Honestly, I don't know why one would want to spend time chiming in on a forum discussion, merely to say it isn't relevant. Isn't a statement like that irrelevant in itself? Just as you say, everyone has different tastes in wheels, people have different things they choose to discuss.

I'm for freedom of speech, freedom of posting, and freedom of thought and expression. The beautiful part of the forum interface is that you can' ignore any discussion that is not relevant to your own tastes. So, I respect your indifference, but can't we all just get along?
x2 also wanted to point out that this is probably the most beautifully written forum post I've ever read.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Love black wheels because I don't like big wagon wheels on my cars. So black wheels minimize the visual impact of the wheel/tire, hide brake dust, and with tinted windows give a nice clean look. Currently have 15" black wheels on my FiST. The all black 15's looks way better than the silver winter 15s I have. At least for me, black wheels only on any sporting cars or trucks. If I ever get a luxo car I would go with standard silver wheels.

41 - 60 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.