VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of the MKIII scene for quite a few years now, but am thinking about getting back in with a Jetta. I have looked on marketplace and craigslist a couple times just to see what's out there (Phoenix, San Diego, Palm Springs areas), and there doesn't seem to be any for sale. Is this the thing now with these cars? I'm not in a rush to buy something as it would be a project. Are the MK6 the new MKIII?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
They are getting more and more rare by the day. I see a fair amount with perfectly good SoCal rust free bodies at the junkyards. I even saw a vr6 jetta 5spd a couple months ago that honestly looked fine aside from interior wear and sun beat paint. The non enthusiasts that ended up with them don't think they can get any more than the $500 the junkyard or emissions board gives to retire them. Sucks.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
They are getting more and more rare by the day. I see a fair amount with perfectly good SoCal rust free bodies at the junkyards. I even saw a vr6 jetta 5spd a couple months ago that honestly looked fine aside from interior wear and sun beat paint. The non enthusiasts that ended up with them don't think they can get any more than the $500 the junkyard or emissions board gives to retire them. Sucks.
Buy them for $750 and ship them back to the northeast where they evaporate from the winter and sell them for 4 to 5 times that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Buy them for $750 and ship them back to the northeast where they evaporate from the winter and sell them for 4 to 5 times that.

If I had the space for them and the time, I would... The problem is once they hit the junkyard I'm not sure they can sell them whole. I'll try to find out if I see another nice example soon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Been out of the MKIII scene for quite a few years now, but am thinking about getting back in with a Jetta. I have looked on marketplace and craigslist a couple times just to see what's out there (Phoenix, San Diego, Palm Springs areas), and there doesn't seem to be any for sale. Is this the thing now with these cars? I'm not in a rush to buy something as it would be a project. Are the MK6 the new MKIII?
Random:

I took my MKIII Jetta to Waterfest 25 2 years ago. Didn't see many there. Everything is Golfs, GTIs, etc. These cars are "rare" that's wny I've had mine 26 years. Bought it brand new in June 1995. Still got it and never gonna sell it. Especially after all the work I've put in it. Love this car. It's dusty mauve too. Someone asked me why I post pics of it when I make a post? 'Cause it's rare. And it's nice!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Random:

I took my MKIII Jetta to Waterfest 25 2 years ago. Didn't see many there. Everything is Golfs, GTIs, etc. These cars are "rare" that's wny I've had mine 26 years. Bought it brand new in June 1995. Still got it and never gonna sell it. Especially after all the work I've put in it. Love this car. It's dusty mauve too. Someone asked me why I post pics of it when I make a post? 'Cause it's rare. And it's nice!

View attachment 98442
Lookin good! Glad there’s still a few more die hard owners out there. I’m getting ready for a little rehab on mine. SoCal sun murdered my clear coat over the years but am otherwise in great shape for a mk3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I inherited my Grandfathers 93 Golf a little bit ago and it needs a lot of work. Not so much engine but like tires, fenders, etc.

I was on the hunt for a MK3 Golf as a parts car to try and reduce the cost and found the black one for $500 CAD in my small town. (I think it's got blown rings or something)

I think if you want one, it'll take a bit but I am sure you can find one for a decent price with some time!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I inherited my Grandfathers 93 Golf a little bit ago and it needs a lot of work. Not so much engine but like tires, fenders, etc.

I was on the hunt for a MK3 Golf as a parts car to try and reduce the cost and found the black one for $500 CAD in my small town. (I think it's got blown rings or something)

I think if you want one, it'll take a bit but I am sure you can find one for a decent price with some time!

View attachment 99170 View attachment 99169
damn 500 bucks....everything that needs work in my area is always in the $2,000 to $3,000.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Back in the day I bought my beat up, non-running 97 Golf K2 for $100. It was a long time PA car and had some typical floor rot, but I pieced it back together for a grand total of around $700 when I started daily driving it. Bought a rolled Golf just for the good 020 trans and parted it, ran and drove, $400. Bought the wife a 96 Jetta that had more rust than I realized and needed a water pump for $300. The Jetta was the most recent, and it was probably 8 or 9 years ago.

At this point with a mk3 a lack of rust would be my #1 priority. The mechanicals are still fairly easy to find and/or fix. And if sticking with an ABA, still dirt cheap. It's a great platform to swap, too, which means mechanicals matter even less. Body work is tedious and expensive, so buy the best car you can afford body-wise. Definitely a tough one in NY state, as mk3 would rust from thinking about salt or water while near them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thing ran and drove under its own power! Not great.... but still drove the 20 minutes it needed so I did not have to tow it.

Black one is the 2L gas parts car, burgundy is the 1.9 diesel project.
damn

Back in the day I bought my beat up, non-running 97 Golf K2 for $100. It was a long time PA car and had some typical floor rot, but I pieced it back together for a grand total of around $700 when I started daily driving it. Bought a rolled Golf just for the good 020 trans and parted it, ran and drove, $400. Bought the wife a 96 Jetta that had more rust than I realized and needed a water pump for $300. The Jetta was the most recent, and it was probably 8 or 9 years ago.

At this point with a mk3 a lack of rust would be my #1 priority. The mechanicals are still fairly easy to find and/or fix. And if sticking with an ABA, still dirt cheap. It's a great platform to swap, too, which means mechanicals matter even less. Body work is tedious and expensive, so buy the best car you can afford body-wise. Definitely a tough one in NY state, as mk3 would rust from thinking about salt or water while near them.

man i need me those deals

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
damn

man i need me those deals
Haven't seen any like that in a while. I transitioned to a platform that has its inexpensive variations, but that's not where I went. I'm on my third e46 wagon with rwd and a manual trans. A rare setup in this country and a very enthusiast driven market. While sedans are readily available and can go for cheap the wagon market is through the roof! I bought my current 2003 4.5 years ago for $7350 with 113k miles on it. Today it sits at 178k miles, lots of maintenance (with reciepts) and its probably worth just as much. I loved my mk3 Golf, one of my favorite cars ever, but it just doesn't reach the same level and the cost reflects that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Haven't seen any like that in a while. I transitioned to a platform that has its inexpensive variations, but that's not where I went. I'm on my third e46 wagon with rwd and a manual trans. A rare setup in this country and a very enthusiast driven market. While sedans are readily available and can go for cheap the wagon market is through the roof! I bought my current 2003 4.5 years ago for $7350 with 113k miles on it. Today it sits at 178k miles, lots of maintenance (with reciepts) and its probably worth just as much. I loved my mk3 Golf, one of my favorite cars ever, but it just doesn't reach the same level and the cost reflects that.

true

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is a shame that the MKiii market has fallen off so much and that those vehicles out are either poorly taken care of or just not owner by enthusiasts. I myself am hoping Ill be in the seat of a MKiii very soon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts