VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about every VW dealer I have ever visited has employed salesmen that know absolutely nothing about the cars they are selling.
Recent Example:
1. Asked for a GTI and was shown a 4 door TDI Golf. I asked him if it was a VR6 and he said yea, I think so.
2. Asked why this car didn't have the double din and he said he had never seen one.
3. Asked about the warranty on this car - a 2002 - and was told it was a 100k mile warranty w/4 years roadside assistance that was better than AAA because VW will tow your vehicle anywhere in the country.
4. Asked if I could get this "GTI" in white and was told "of course, we have all colors."
Well, needless to say, I was just looking around after getting my 10k service and really wanted to drive the new 180hp GTI, but couldn't deal with this useless salesman. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience as it happened to me several times when purchasing my MKIV. Now why don't these dealers hand the salesmen a video or at least force them to read VWs brochures and become familiar with the cars?? I think this guy just drank toooo much

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (JWHITE)

I once overheard a conversation a salesman was having with a fellow salesman at my local dealer. Basically the first salesman had just finished up with a customer looking at Audis. The customer was commenting on Jaguars, specifically the new X-Type, and asking how the new A4 compared to the X-Type. Said salesman commented to the fellow salesman about how he really didn't know anything about the Jag and "...how am I supposed to know everything about all the cars? I don't sell Jags so why would I know anything about them?" I just laughed. If he was any kind of salesman he would be able to size up the competition to ANY customer. After all, isn't the point of a car salesman to show why the car they are selling is better than the competition? Here I am, a 21 year old kid, and I could probably quote you something about EVERY car made!! The first thing I would do with a potential customer would be to show them why my car is superior!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

It's a 9-5 job to 95% of the people, and knowledge about the cars is not the biggest factor in how many cars you are going to sell.
There are people like this in every industry, it's nothing new and there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

A salesman needs to find what YOU seek in the car, play upon that, and close you.
So why waste time memorizing engine/trim levels when 99% of the "civilians" coming in will want to know about mileage, safety, cargo space, etc?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (Jman5000)

i remember back when i was shopping for a used car. i was looking for a mk3 jetta vr6. i basiclly was trying to quiz the car salesmen on like h.p. and why thr vr6 vs the 2.0 all he replyed with , the vr6 was a better car and was faster..and some how it came up about how come he didnt know anything, and he said that most of the time people come in knowing more then the salesmen.
it just makes want to go and sale cars. good money, but i heard its terrible hours.

·
Registered
18,545 Posts

A knowledgable salesman is like the tooth fairy...there's no such thing. Most of the people that know anything about the products are the guys that used to work for the dealers, and now run their own repair shops...these guys rae the true enthusiasts. All salespeople really want is to sell a car, and make money. They don't want to have to know about upcoming products, and industry trends.

·
James Steed
12,062 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (Ravin' VR6)

A friend of mine sold me my cars and he is really knowledgeable about cars.
I actually became friends with him after I bought my first car from him.
He blew me away with his knowledge. It was strange actually talking to a salesman that knew cars.
He no longer sells cars so now I can't ever buy a new car again.
I refuse to buy a car from a moron just trying to get into my pockets.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (EPilot)

sometimes ignorance can work to your advantage....I get sick of hearing "knowledgeable" salemen trying to tell me a certain color (no matter how rare) changes the price they will sell it at. Or if they know a lot about the VR6 and think they can sell them at a higher profit or a number of other annoying things. Trust me when the dealer and salesman know too much about the enthusiast community they can really use it to squeeze more money from you.
Go in to the dealer after researching these cars online and just talk to the salesman on price. It is that simple.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (QuickStick)

The only reason I need for a salesman is when they pass me the key.I never was swayed by a salesmen pitch,if you need information about a certain car serach the internet,ask any Vortex member or the last resort ask for a brochure.yes I agree good salesman is as rare as a DODO bird.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My salesman is actually quite good. He reads the Vortex so that he can be up on what's going on in the VW community. When I went in to put a deposit down on my car last month, he knew about the GLI. Last year (I think it was last year) I was inquiring about the 1.8t jetta before it was available and he knew that this engine was going to coming soon and said that he would call me when one came in so that I could test drive it. Well about three months later he actually called me to tell me they had some in stock and I was over there that night driving it. He knew about the new 24v V6 earlier this year...etc... He is great and I would totally recomend him to anyone who lives in my area. It's difficult for these salesman because I think that the overall turnover rate in a big dealership (salesman retention rate) is high. They just want a job and that's it. It's not them that is the problem it's management. If you find a good one, enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

KNOWLEDGEABLE RIGHT HERE

And I will admit most volume salespeople are older with very little product knowledge who care about nothing except the $$$, but there is many different personalities out there and many people cannot buy a car from that type of salesperson, and many that can buy from others like me!
Sincerely,
Your Greater NewEngland VW Salesperson

[Modified by OO-BORA VR6, 10:30 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (OO-BORA VR6)

Right on Jwhite,its good to have a salesman on these boards,we harp on you guys but to be honest its all in jest,except the Ellis dealership which we all know is "anti social".The younger VW salesmen are fine its just these "mature" sellers who is stuck in the 80's selling methods,those are the ones that are bad,with the internet these days buyers have more information and buying power to research their purchases so any BS that a salesmen mentions is easily detected by the buyer.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

When I bought my VW, a friend of mine went with me. Since my friend is such a big car nut, he knew MUCH more about the car than did the salesman.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (1999½Bora)

"There are people like this in every industry, it's nothing new and there's nothing wrong with it"
Well... if I come buy a computer at your computer store, you should be able to explain to me why and Apple would fit my needs better than a regular PC, or why I may need more than 30GB HD space, etc. etc. etc.
I don't expect the salesman to be able to quote me torque/RPM numbers for each car on the lot off the top of his head, or each variation of trim/paint/luxury package available for each car.... but I was recently with a friend to buy a GTI and I just wanted to laugh/slap the salesman/run out screaming at tthe woefully poor knowledge ANY of the salespeople at 3 dealerships had... plus the fact that they outright lied (or were just too dumb) about the availability, in this case, of a Golf GTI with the old style rims (not the new 17").
this despite me proving them I could quote pretty much any spec on each trim of each version of the MK4 Golfs....
Long story short we went to an auto broker, who that afternoon found exactly the car / color / combo my friend wanted and had it delivered to his door AT INVOICE.
Again, just my opinion, but you can be assured when / if I move on to a new car, the auto broker will be the only person I'll be talking to.
Again... just my opinion...

Maalox

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]4. Asked if I could get this "GTI" in white and was told "of course, we have all colors."
[HR][/HR]​
Only on Golf's....like mine

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Re: Where Are The Knowledgeable Salesmen? (MaaloxRacer)

quote:[HR][/HR]Long story short we went to an auto broker, who that afternoon found exactly the car / color / combo my friend wanted and had it delivered to his door AT INVOICE.
Again, just my opinion, but you can be assured when / if I move on to a new car, the auto broker will be the only person I'll be talking to.
[HR][/HR]​
Word, thats the only way I was going to buy my car and no dealership could come CLOSE to the price... time spent on my part? 5 minute phone call... price? the best available.
I honestly do not see the point of buying a car from a dealership, you get worse service and pay higher prices... wtf?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts