VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a cis car, preferably just vaccuum advance with hall sensor (no points!!!).
Anyone ever use one...I've heard as much as 15hp increase, low w/ no trade off at the top end. Anyone with experience with one...opinions?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Re: Where can I buy an european distributer.... (ToddA1)

I use a 83 carbed 1.7L distribitor with vacuum advance and GLI mechanical advance springs.
It works good, I don't think it's worth any crazy extra power. The vacuum advance only works to pep up part-throttle responce at low RPM.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Where can I buy an european distributer.... (gearhead455)

I'm not familiar with the carb distributors, but on the f/i cars they also came with vaccuum retard.
Did you just swap the vaccuum canisters, and springs in its entirety from the gli?
Was it a worthwhile mod in the long run?
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

I think the FI distributors are about the same as the one I have. It has the vacuum retard (retard side is not hooked up BTW) and advance canister.
It's not technically a "mod", it's kinda what I had lying around.
When you hear people talk about "re-curved" and "euro" distributors it's nothing special. If you have a timing light, (with an advance knob) you can make any distributor do whatever you want it to with a 1/2 an hour of work.
This article will explain everything you need to know:
http://members.aol.com/dvandrews/timing.htm

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I always set my timing to spec (6 degrees advance), I was under the impression that the distributer had a more aggressive (faster) advance curve.
Thanks,
Todd
BTW, that link doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

The link works fine for me? Are you at work and behind a firewall? Try it at home.
The "curve" or ramp is dictated by the strength of the springs and mechanical advance weights. You can change the curve if you change the spring tension. The springs cost like $.10 a piece.
When you change the curve all you are doing is changing the RPM from when the mechanical advance starts to when it reaches maximum advance.
Total advance can be adjusted by modifying the mechanical advance stop.
VWs 6 degree advance at idle is super weak, especially on a 8.5:1 engine. I run my 10:1 @ 12-15 BTDC on idle with midgrade to premium fuel. I use heavier springs so the curve comes later and prevents pinging at low RPM WOT.
I did not change the total advance setting, it should make about 36 degrees of total timing and kicks in about 3500 - 4000 RPM.
When I am using nitrous I kick it back to 30 degrees total and use 100 octane unleaded.

[Modified by gearhead455, 7:10 PM 9-27-2002]

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Great, I'll just try and swap the parts as you did...was this an A2 Gli you got the springs and weights from?
Are you running a knock sensor ignition...that's alot of advance, I think the most I was ever able to get was about 10 degrees on pump gas before I heard pinging. This is a street car with 9.5 to 1 & cis. When I get the motor back from the balancer, the car will be getting a 50-75 shot of nitrous.
How cold did you go on the plugs, and did you stay with Bosch or go to a Japanese plug?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

Yeah, 86 CIS-E GLI springs, stock 83 weights.
Also my cam is a 272 duration which effects low RPM timing. (not as effecent as stock at low RPM so you can advance it a little)
If the engine was pinging at WOT at low RPM (under 3500 or so) I would definatly try to re-curve the distributor (heavy springs). If it pings at high RPM, you might want to adjust the total advance down.
The idea is to get the mechanical advance to ramp up right on the edge of detonation (but not detonating) all the way up to max advance. Once it reaches max advance you want the most possible without detonation.

I run 9 BTDC with a 80HP shot of nitrous with 100 octane @ 10:1
If you can get the link to work, it's real good stuff.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]How cold did you go on the plugs, and did you stay with Bosch or go to a Japanese plug? [HR][/HR]​
2 colder...NGK BP8ES... I think they are for an outboard marine. engine http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.