VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant seem to find them anywhere...i know some vendors carry them please steer me...thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
FV-QR

heres a novel idea.
go to a local paint place. bring your color code. ask them to mix you a can of spray paint in that color. paint them yourself. it will cost you about 20 bucks. and when you're done you'll still have at least half a can of spray paint left over.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: FV-QR (defrost)

You can purchase them from esetuning.com
You should be able to order United Grey, by ordering Imola Yellow then putting "United Grey per Dave" that's what I was told when i sent an email to ESE.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can save some money and DIY. Check out paintscratch.com and grab your color and clear coat, you should be set.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: where can i find colormatched side markers? (youngkal)

No vender sells CW colormatched side markers that I know of...do what I did...
go to your local dealership, and ask for the spray can of Candy White paint. It will come with a clear coat spray as well...
The side markers pop out quite easily, just push on the side of the side marker closest to the front of the car. Disconnect the wire, and your side marker is out.
What I did first was take some fairly rough sand paper, and sanded the crap out of them both first, this is so the primer and paint will hold. Once completely smooth, take some very fine sand paper, and put it in water, and sand it until smooth. Make sure it is wet while sanding.
You should then have a pretty dull looking orange, completely scratched, but very smooth side marker. Make sure it is clean, and in a place with no wind or anything floating around, I primed it with just a normal primer, white, just in case but I don't think it would matter.
Let dry for 20 minutes, and do another coat. In between coats (this goes for everything after this also), a very light wet sanding(obviously after the primer/paint/clear coat is dried) with the fine sand paper, that way any imperfections come out, without the good primer/paint/clear coming off. Without wet sanding in between, your final product might come out looking like there are things inside of it, you will be able to tell when you are sanding, you will be able to feel things at first, then it becomes completely smooth again.
Once dry, start the white paint, make sure you do long even strokes, I'm sure you know how, make sure it's even.
I did about 6 coats, leaving about 20-30 minutes in between, longer you wait the better. If you can be patient, you should.
After that do the same thing but with the spray on clear coat. Leave plenty of time to dry. I waited about 2 hours for it to dry, was impatient, and tried to put them back in, and my fingerprint came off on it, and I had to re-do it. So if I had to do it again, just to be safe, I would just let them sit in a non windy place overnight.
Also if you have access, a quick go over with a heat gun bakes the paint and clear coat to look just like the CW on your car, but it's risky you can start to melt the paint and clear coat if it gets too hot, then your side marker is ruined and you have to start the process all over.
If you don't want your light bulb in the side marker anymore, simply take out the little light, and make sure you put the black socket where the light went back, attached to the side marker again, to ensure no water damage or shorting can be done. And that's it...
I wasn't able to find a CW side marker pre-done by a company or anyone, but I don't know what you would prefer to do.

...you really can't ruin a side marker, which is the good part, and if you do for whatever reason, it's just a $50 fix, so no big worries.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Hope this helps...

Modified by Drummerdude416 at 1:30 AM 1-9-2009

1 - 7 of 7 Posts