VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Southern California and i was talking to a guy the other day about his motorcycle, he told me that he puts 97 octane gas in it that he gets from mobil. Does mobil really sell 97 octane gas?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Where can I get 97 octane? (LeftCOASTpunK)

if i can really get my hands on this 97 octane, what kind of increases am i going to see as far as performance? (by the way, i am currently using 91 octane) will there be a deference in performance? Does anybody in this forum use this gas?
thanks, -Nate

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

You can get 100 octane at the station on La Paz just off the 405. I think its a Union 76 station. Its around $4 a gallon but if your chipped your car will love you!!

I plan on buying some 100LL av gas and mixing it 50/50 one weekend just for kicks. Or hell I might just run it straight.

[Modified by MRP2001GTi, 6:51 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

Never heard of such a critter. You can get 100 octane from a few 76 and Sunoco stations, and at racetracks.
It's not going to do a damn thing for you unless you have a racegas chip. I have driven every day this week in 95-100 degree, high humidity weather, and have seen no evidence of timing retard/detonation. Although I'm using 93 octane with a 91 octane GIAC chip.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Re: Where can I get 97 octane? (dbrowne1)

we have 93 at highest at most gas stations here in MD, BUT the sunoco stations have 94, not much difference but i may give it a shot one day, i hope to hell they have some 300 octain so i can blow up my car. disregard the last statement, it was the mcflurry talking

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It's not going to do a damn thing for you unless you have a racegas chip. I have driven every day this week in 95-100 degree, high humidity weather, and have seen no evidence of timing retard/detonation. Although I'm using 93 octane with a 91 octane GIAC chip.[HR][/HR]​
Your right he should be chipped if he is planning on seeing any benefit but not necessarily the race chip. With our 1 bar Up chips the difference in 91 octane compared to 96 or higher octane is quite dramatic on the VAG Com.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: Where can I get 97 octane? (MRP2001GTi)

quote:[HR][/HR]Your right he should be chipped if he is planning on seeing any benefit but not necessarily the race chip. With our 1 bar Up chips the difference in 91 octane compared to 96 or higher octane is quite dramatic on the VAG Com.[HR][/HR]​
Could you post your results? All the plots and data that I have seen say otherwise. In fact, some people have shown losses from using racegas with a 91/93 octane chip, because the fuel doesn't completely burn.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

UKAUSSI has the plots and if he sees this I am sure he will post them. Keep in mind we only have crappy 91 octane here in California so when we get anything better we see improvement. The power with the 97 octane was perfectly smooth almost like the software was written for it. Also there was an increase in HP because it held the power to redline VS dropping off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts