VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i did the whole search thing. i've also called around everywhere i can think of. and all the OEM places have headlights and radiator supports and window regulators, but nothing that i'm looking for. i want to switch my carpet from beige to black. any suggestions as to where i can find it? i'm not concerned about location, if i can get it shipped here....
thanks guys-

· Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (gRAVITy)

ok... so lets say i go with the dye (which i'm not sure i wanna do)... does it feel like a carpet when its dyed, or does it feel like astro turf, and does it fade after a few months or will it stay?

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: (freezermink)

For what the new carpet costs, I'd say it's much more worth it just to replace it. If you dye it, you have to make sure it's super clean first, and you risk it being dyed unevenly.
Plus, it's got to be showing signs of wear, right? I'm sure it's probably frayed or snagged somewhere, no? It'd be the perfect time to get rid of those damages.

· Banned
10,806 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
For what the new carpet costs, I'd say it's much more worth it just to replace it. If you dye it, you have to make sure it's super clean first, and you risk it being dyed unevenly.
Plus, it's got to be showing signs of wear, right? I'm sure it's probably frayed or snagged somewhere, no? It'd be the perfect time to get rid of those damages.
i guess you dont know how much black headliners and other pieces cost

· Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Buttero J-Lo)

i just called the only VW dealership i trust around here, and they quoted me $176 for a brand new OEM carpet. thats actually not that bad.... not nearly as much as i thought it was going to be... so i'm still debating... i may try the dye, and if it doesn't work, i'll go with new. worth a shot....right?

thats what i usually do anyway, i'll try to do something myself, so when i screw it up royally, i'm forced to buy the new part. heh. justification.

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: (Buttero J-Lo)

Quote, originally posted by Buttero J-Lo »
i guess you dont know how much black headliners and other pieces cost

Yes, I do. But I also know what carpet costs. So keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself if you don't know the difference between the ground and the sky.
Have a nice day.

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: (freezermink)

Quote, originally posted by freezermink »
i just called the only VW dealership i trust around here, and they quoted me $176 for a brand new OEM carpet. thats actually not that bad.... not nearly as much as i thought it was going to be... so i'm still debating... i may try the dye, and if it doesn't work, i'll go with new. worth a shot....right?

thats what i usually do anyway, i'll try to do something myself, so when i screw it up royally, i'm forced to buy the new part. heh. justification.

Bout' right. If you've got the part number, head over to impexfap.com and put it in there. I bet you'll save at least $10.

· Registered
4,914 Posts

Bout' right. If you've got the part number, head over to impexfap.com and put it in there. I bet you'll save at least $10.

I swapped mine about a year ago. 1J1 863 367 AM 07N
I got it from Impex.

The only thing is they said it was too big to ship and that I'd have to come pick it up from one of their warehouses. I gave them permission to fold it into quarters and ship it to me anyway. The folding did not crease it or mess up the mold in any way whatsoever. It was in perfect shape.
I still think you should get it from the dealer though. Impex wants $167.20. When you add shipping costs to that, you'll be spending more than if you got it from the dealer. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BRM10984, you were right
. It was just about $10.

· Registered
253 Posts
Don't use the fabric dye in a spray can like the JKREW headliner mod. I mean actual RIT fabric dye diluted about 1 bottle into a gallon of water and then spray it onto the carpet with an old windex bottle or something similar. RIT fabric dye like this will not wear out and it will be an even tone if you do it right.

· Registered
42,107 Posts
Re: (mahmgb)

Quote, originally posted by mahmgb »

I swapped mine about a year ago. 1J1 863 367 AM 07N
I got it from Impex.

The only thing is they said it was too big to ship and that I'd have to come pick it up from one of their warehouses. I gave them permission to fold it into quarters and ship it to me anyway. The folding did not crease it or mess up the mold in any way whatsoever. It was in perfect shape.
I still think you should get it from the dealer though. Impex wants $167.20. When you add shipping costs to that, you'll be spending more than if you got it from the dealer. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BRM10984, you were right
. It was just about $10.

Haha... I bet I can't guess that well on a lottery ticket.

I knew there was someone that had done a replacement and that I had talked to about the price and amount of work required, but I couldn't recall who it was. Now I remember it was you.

· Registered
4,914 Posts

Haha... I bet I can't guess that well on a lottery ticket.

I knew there was someone that had done a replacement and that I had talked to about the price and amount of work required, but I couldn't recall who it was. Now I remember it was you.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.