VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pretty good amout of lateral grip. When i'm autocrossing and i really get into a hard turn, and then have to get on the brakes, my vaccumm assist goes out...or at least that is what it feels like...my brake pedal is REAL stiff and 'high'...any suggestions??
my first thought is stainless lines and a full brake flush, but i'm not sure that will help my vaccum assit...need help.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: where did my brakes go??? (nc_hiker_)

Hard brake pedal is usually a sign of overheated pads. As the brakes get hot, the expel gas which gets between the pad and rotor causing the hard pedal and lack of braking.
You might want to upgrade to slotted or cross drilled rotors to help expel the built up gas.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: where did my brakes go??? (AllMotor8v)

Woah.. easy there. You mean cross-drilled or slotted rotors do something more then just look good?!

I haven't had any issues with my cross-drilled set-up, and in my opinion a does make a difference. But, when it's mated w/ the additional stuff you could do. Look into getting stainless lines, ATE Superblue fluid, and a good set of aftermarket performance pads (I've gone with the PBR Metal Master set-up).
Lovin' every minute of it.

[Modified by ramylson, 5:07 PM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
443 Posts
Re: where did my brakes go??? (ramylson)

quote:[HR][/HR] ATE Superblue fluid, and a good set of aftermarket performance pads (I've gone with the PBR Metal Master set-up). [HR][/HR]​
That should help, but to really get rid of the problem you need bigger brakes... 10" brakes just cant disipate the heat enough... you could do what I did and upgrade to 11" Corado brakes (just different carriers and rotors) but it will put you in a different class for autoX... like street mod
I'll tell you what though.... night a day difference between 10 and 11" brakes

[Modified by sbiggi, 12:50 AM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: where did my brakes go??? (sbiggi)

Some people just can't seem to spend your money fast enough, can they?

The hard and high pedal is your ABS system kicking in. Probably sounds a bit strange too, eh? Don't worry, it's normal. It just takes getting used to.
I'll recommend better fluid, but keep in mind it needs to be flushed more often. (OEM says every two years. Hi-po stuff, every year) ATE is good stuff, they just sell it in a wasteful size. I prefer Motul 600. Buy in pints, only open what you need.
Pads? I like Porterfield RS-4's. Never heard of them? I'm not surprized, they don't advertise in street car magazines.
Lines? I've used stainless braided in a past car and liked them a ton. A downside I've heard in the MK4 though, is a change in pedal height. Makes it harder to heal and toe.
But really, until you step up to real race track time, the OEM stuff works just fine. I currently hold a Street Tire class record at an enduro autocross. That was nearly five minutes of non-stop runtime and my brakes are 100% OEM. Haven't even changed the fluid.
Just learn how to properly use what you got, you'll do fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Charles R, 12:24 AM 1-30-2003]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: where did my brakes go??? (Charles R)

yep...going to different size or vented rotors is out of the question...i don't want to leave STS.
I'm running Mintex Red Box pads and i'm pretty happy with them...when i was shopping for pads, i looked at the HP Plus, Metalmasters, and Mintex...i couldn't find Metalmasters for my car, and i heard that the HP Plus pads were a bit dusty...anyway, i'm just recently heard good things about the RS-4s.
i think i'm just going to flush out the lines and put in some good fluid, and get used to the high/tight pedal...
thanks for the help guys!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts