VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing the multiple "Dajiban" threads and the recent Trans sport thread, I thought to myself "Where have all the Ram Vans gone!?!?" I havent seen one in years, and these things used to be everywhere, from every contractor/electrician/plumber, to every limo service they seemed to be the van of choice.

Where have they all gone?

Were they all shipped to Japan?

The dodge magnum was also popular for a time, and those seemed to have been culled as well.

What other cars used to popular that seem to have fallen off the face of the earth?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Funny, just yesterday I got stuck behind one of these monstrosities on a local back road, hadn't seen one in a year or two at least but it was probably the cleanest one I've ever seen. Had a fresh battleship gray paint job

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My wife loves you.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
This gen Maxima has vanished, haven't seen one in a year or two easily, yet see the gen prior all the time.

Haven't seen an Astro Van in ages, and they were as common as Camry's, not to mention they made these things for 20 years. Suddenly or within recent years they've all vanished.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,937 Posts
INB4 OP realizes his observation is anecdotal at best. I see all of these cars all the time still. And I live in rust central.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Escape SE, 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T
4,181 Posts
Where have all the first generation (1986-1991) Tauruses gone?

Hollywood destroyed 25% of them. The rest were claimed by rust and head gasket failure.

About 12 still exist, all SHOs except for the LX at the Henry Ford Museum.

The Taurus, I know what happened. Now, I wonder what happened to all the first generation Chrysler LH cars? I very rarely see 1993-1997 Intrepids, Concordes, Visions, LHSs, and New Yorkers. I know the latter three never sold very well in the first place, but even the common Intrepids and Concordes are all gone. What killed them - transmissions?

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
You can find that Maxima in almost every bad area of town, right next to old G35 coupes. The vans are parked behind churches for youth group outings.

My submissions;

Ford Windstar/Freestar (any generation)

Pontiac Grand Am

Ford Focus (1st gen US)

Honda Insight (2nd gen)

Honda Ridgeline (1st gen)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Haven't seen an Astro Van in ages, and they were as common as Camry's, not to mention they made these things for 20 years. Suddenly or within recent years they've all vanished.
Yeah, around here they're like hen's teeth. No rust to deal with either. Very rarely you'll see a small time plumber/painter/electrician/HVAC guy driving a beat one, but I can't remember the last time I've seen a passenger version.

Also, *looks at OP's name*

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have literally seen every car posted over the last week. Gotta Love AZ. No rust

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I see these cars damn near daily here in Sacramento. Except the Taurus, but even then I see a couple SHOs every now and again.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts

These all seemed to disappear in the last two years. I used to see them constantly. When I go back to my home state of NH I still see a bunch, but otherwise, nope.

Mk3 Jettas seemed to disappear around 2010-12. I understood they rot, but I think all the dumb teenagers like myself at that time really contributed to their destruction.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
This gen Maxima has vanished, haven't seen one in a year or two easily, yet see the gen prior all the time.

For the Maxima, go to any "bad neighborhood" and they will be among the most common cars on the road.

I definitely do not see many Astro Vans but I saw a minty clean AWD one recently and couldn't hold back my excitement.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts