VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
18,870 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (DoubleNaught)

I guess you've missed how the diesel boys go at me every time I bring this up.

I still think of diesel as the cheap gas from back in my childhood days when it really was cheap, but for the last few years it's been priced comparably to premium, and now it's more expensive.

· Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
18,972 Posts

My post from another thread:
Quote »
Ok, so I just filled up this morning and for the first time EVER, I paid more for diesel than premium.
Regular - $4.09
Premium - $4.47
ULSD - $5.08*
*ULSD is the only diesel fuel sold in Canada for on-road use
Now the numbers.
15 Gallons, 633 miles, 42 MPG.
And I didn't have to drive like my Grandmother to acheive that. Half my daily commute is highway and I try keep a constant 75 MPH.

The diesel prices are getting crazy.

· Registered
28,732 Posts

Probably because:
1. After considering the better fuel economy, a diesel vehicle still costs significantly less to fuel than a similar gasoline vehicle.
2. People who bought diesel vehicles probably bought them as a hedge against expected rising fuel prices, so they are not surprised like some of the people who bought cars on impulse without thinking ahead to the possibility of rising fuel prices. While they may not be pleased at having to put more money into the tank, the added cost is less than if they bought a thirstier car in the first place.

· Registered
2016 VW Golf R, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
1,225 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (tjl)

FWIW, refined fuel prices (gas and diesel) are determined mainly by supply/demand issues, and are not guaranteed to be priced the same even if they both cost the same to make. This is why when oil goes up real fast or down real fast you don't necessarily see a corresponding change at the pump.
If I had to guess, I would say this is a sign that demand for diesel fuel is growing faster then demand for regular fuel (or, in reverse, demand is not falling as fast as regular fuel).

· Registered
2,428 Posts

They're too busy harping on the hybrid owners to notice how out of line USLD prices are.
Me? I notice. I notice I paid a premium for a TDI and that with every passing week that premium makes less sense. If I weren't so lazy, I'd unload it at a premium to someone else and just buy a gasser at this point.

· Registered
14,025 Posts

[conspiracy theory] Big oil knows diesel cars get better fuel economy. This could potentially cut into profits if widespread adoption occurs. Raise the per unit price of diesel until all cost savings of running diesel are taken to near zero. Enjoy consistent profits and watch share price rise. [/conspiracy theory]

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX Limited
25,189 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (Rob)

Quote, originally posted by Rob »
[conspiracy theory] Big oil knows diesel cars get better fuel economy. This could potentially cut into profits if widespread adoption occurs. Raise the per unit price of diesel until all cost savings of running diesel are taken to near zero. Enjoy consistent profits and watch share price rise. [/conspiracy theory]

Please tell me you don't seriously believe this and realize the error in what you're saying...

· Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
18,972 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (Rob)

Quote, originally posted by Rob »

Except that diesel cars make up a TINY percentage of vehicles on the road in the US. Think about what these diesel prices are doing to transport drivers/transport companies. The added cost of shipping goods gets passed along to the consumer.

· Registered
9,719 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (nlatham19)

Quote, originally posted by nlatham19 »

yes, and the exhaust smells better.

hmm...maybe i will start considering diesels in my completely hypothetical ebay motors adventures

· Registered
3,858 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (nlatham19)

people...it's not all about saving money
say it with me now....con-ser-va-tion....
i'd gladly pay a couple more bucks at the pump to conserve our supply for the future. everyone is sooo consumed with the now, that they cant see what going to happen. if we all use less, then we'll have more over time. sounds simple, no?
it's like people financing cars for 120 months because their monthly payment is what they can afford. yet they can't seem to see that they're paying double the cost of the car over that term

· Registered
13,133 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (HASSELHOF)

Quote, originally posted by HASSELHOF »
it's like people financing cars for 120 months because their monthly payment is what they can afford. yet they can't seem to see that they're paying double the cost of the car over that term

that always makes me laugh.

· Registered
4,096 Posts

I know an owner operator who is getting out of the industry after 8 years because he can barely break even with near $4/gallon fuel prices. Granted, his old school brick Peterbilt barely clears 5 mpg......

· Registered
750 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (MEIN_VW)

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

Except that diesel cars make up a TINY percentage of vehicles on the road in the US. Think about what these diesel prices are doing to transport drivers/transport companies. The added cost of shipping goods gets passed along to the consumer.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

4.50 nyc is hurting 14ft box is not getting great fuel econ

· Registered
9,719 Posts

Quote, originally posted by HASSELHOF »
people...it's not all about saving money
say it with me now....con-ser-va-tion....

unfortunately, we as people are most responsive to things that affect us directly...therefore the focus is on money savings now over this future "con-ser-va-tion" mumbo jumbo...
only when the visible savings promote conservation will this whole accounting for the future generations thing become viable by our current actions
invisible hand ftmfw

· Registered
4,096 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (BTM)

Quote, originally posted by BTM »
does diesel smell as good as regular gasoline?

I don't think either fuel smells particularly pleasant. Plus diesel gives me a rash when it comes in contact with my skin.

· Registered
9,719 Posts
Re: Where is the OMG WTF about high Diesel fuel prices? :) (WhiteRat)

Quote, originally posted by WhiteRat »

I don't think either fuel smells particularly pleasant. Plus diesel gives me a rash when it comes in contact with my skin.

sucks for you!
i'm high as sh*t off gas right now!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.