VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Markham area and don't wanna drive too far, but all options are welcomed!
AND... if anyone might know what the problem might be from the following symptoms, please help me out!
-Reverse gear makes loud clicking sound let out slowly, and when I let it out quicker the whole car shakes really hard.
-1st gear seems to do the shaking thing when let out as well, but much milder than reverse
-2nd gear can be really hard to get into and sometimes kicks out when I let the clutch out
OH... its a '95 GL if that helps
Thanks!
Rob

[Modified by Balboa, 4:09 PM 2-3-2003]

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Re: Where should I bring my 2.0 for some tranny repairs??? (Balboa)

I had the same symptoms with my reverse, but didn't have the same probs in 1st and 2nd. I ended up getting the tranny replaced...........UNDER WARRANTY thanfully! I was 100kms short of going over my powertrain warranty on my 98 Jetta. I was told that a tooth must have broken off the reverse gear and started "tumbling around" inside the housing. Maybe this tooth got into your 1st and 2nd gears?? My buddy had a 97 Jetta GL and had to have the tranny replaced as well. His bill was just shy of $3000!!!!!!! That was done at a dealership though
I say Lukasz is the guy for you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
125 Posts
Re: Where should I bring my 2.0 for some tranny repairs??? (Balboa)

quote:[HR][/HR]I live in the Markham area and don't wanna drive too far, but all options are welcomed!
AND... if anyone might know what the problem might be from the following symptoms, please help me out!
-Reverse gear makes loud clicking sound let out slowly, and when I let it out quicker the whole car shakes really hard.
-1st gear seems to do the shaking thing when let out as well, but much milder than reverse
-2nd gear can be really hard to get into and sometimes kicks out when I let the clutch out
OH... its a '95 GL if that helps
Thanks!
Rob
[HR][/HR]​
We're currently rebuilding our 5th tranny. Two of them have gone out with Quaifes in the aswell.

As for the problems you've described, without taking it apart, it sounds like you'll be looking at replacing:
- the reversie idler
- 1/2 slider
- 2nd synchro
- maybe 2nd gear assembly
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.