VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for this crank to build a stroker 3a any help finding this crank would be great

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: Where to find a 99 mm crank (Black86GTI)

Never heard of one. If you mean a 95.5mm crank like the one in a TDI and Canadian 1.9L TD, AUtotech has one for about $1500. That's right--the crank is $1500.
You will also need special pistons made, as the TDI crank will push stock 92.8 stroke pistons too far out of the block, and would cause an undesirable increase in CR.

Modified by jwarner801 at 11:35 PM 6-28-2003

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

Ottinger used to make them, big $$$, I don't know if they are still available. If you do find one, IMHO, you'd be better off putting it into an ABA block, the extra long stroke could use the longer rods that the taller block would give you.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Where to find a 99 mm crank (ABA Scirocco)

thanx guys I know about the 95.5 and can get one at my junk yard out of the tdi would the aba block be a better block to use? if so why I know its taller and you need a down pipe adpter please give me any info you have I have not pulled the 3a block so I can change my mind still

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

The ABA has 159mm connecting rods compared to the 144mm for the 9A, the rod length/stroke ratio of the ABA is more favourable (smoother, higher revving). As for the downpipe, you only really need to worry about the downpipe if the engine's going into an A1, it's not an issue with any of the newer VW's. Also, in my area at least, 3A blocks are pretty rare and hard to find, ABA blocks are much more plentiful.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Re: Where to find a 99 mm crank (ABA Scirocco)

I am kinda working on a 2.1L kit now with a TDI crank and 3A block. It needs to have the counter weights ground down a bit and seriously lightened to work properly. Rev issues.... It does drop in but the counter weights hit the piston oil squirters and will not rotate without machining the counter weights. If done, why not knife edge the crank too! So far it clears in all areas except where the oil pump goes so there will be minimal clearancing of the block, only the oil pump area and possibly the oil pump itself. I am slow at this due to lack of time but I will post as I get this thing done.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Re: Where to find a 99 mm crank (EDV)

I kept rambling to the point where I forgot what I originally wanted to say! If you find a 99mm crank, those are made of different material and are much lighter than you'd think. Expensive piece but done right. If someone has one, they should weigh it so we can compare........

·
Registered
8,341 Posts

Take a 86.4mm 1.8 crank to your local machine shop. Have it welded up and stroked to 99mm. Around $400 ought do it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: Where to find a 99 mm crank (art.clemens)

Quote, originally posted by art.clemens »
Take a 86.4mm 1.8 crank to your local machine shop. Have it welded up and stroked to 99mm. Around $400 ought do it.

That's what the T-1 aircooled crowd used to have done going from 69mm to 74, 78, etc. There were plenty of articles in VW Trends and Hot VW's & Dune Buggies magazines over the years on that subject.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Re: Where to find a 99 mm crank (p_ferlow)

How reliable are these welded strokers? I know TT used to use them years ago but I thought they were not as strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts