VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im thinking of redoing my wheels this weekend. They are gold now and want to go probably just silver or maybe black, but leaning towards silver. Anyone know of a good wheel paint and where to get it? Locally preffered.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Re: Where to get good Wheel Paint?? (Wikked1.8)

On my Oettinger RE's - I used 2 coats of Duplicolor wheel paint and 3 coats of duplicolor wheel clear coat. No chips or nothing, I even drove in the snow and they still look perfect.
You'll probably need around 4-5 cans of paint and 4-5 cans of clear.

^ Not my picture - I used 600 grit sand paper and wet sanded everything I was painting.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Re: Where to get good Wheel Paint?? (Wikked1.8)

BEST-powdercoat, if you want gloss, you can spray clear liquid over the powder with no problems. used to spray power years ago.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Re: Where to get good Wheel Paint?? (rjc69)

Quote, originally posted by rjc69 »
BEST-powdercoat, if you want gloss, you can spray clear liquid over the powder with no problems. used to spray power years ago.

True, Powdercoating is the best, but if you are on a budget.....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: Where to get good Wheel Paint?? (MEISTER)

Quote, originally posted by MEISTER »
On my Oettinger RE's - I used 2 coats of Duplicolor wheel paint and 3 coats of duplicolor wheel clear coat. No chips or nothing, I even drove in the snow and they still look perfect.

+1 on the duplicolor stuff... I used it a month or so ago, really easy to use and came out great!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Re: Where to get good Wheel Paint?? (rjc69)

Quote, originally posted by rjc69 »

I use a super high gloss clear powder over my powder coat finish. I got a ton of powder for $6/lb on sale at Caswellplating.com. The main problem with powder is that you have to strip or blast the wheels all the way to bare metal. Any leftover paint will bubble or burn when heated to the powder's melt temp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.