VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about repainting...but I'd like to completely strip down the car (windows out). Anyone have any suggestions on where to get window seals and stuff for when I put everything back together? Also, was wondering if anyone knows of anyone selling a headliner kit or something for early MKiis . As always, any info would be appreciated. --Chris

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Where to get window seals, headliner?? (wwhalenc)

J.C. Whitney sells the headliner kits in all colors for both body styles of sciroccos. They are around a hundred bucks. I don't know what the quailty is like though....
Royce

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

You might beable to save some cheddar if you find a professional upolstery installer locally, for that headliner. Make sure they are "professional" though.

·
Registered
562 Posts

I picked up a brand new factory windshield seal on eBay for $57 a couple weeks ago. They're also available at veeparts.com for $90. God knows what the dealer would charge you.
As for the headliner, I had a local upholsterer do a custom one for me for around $100. I couldn't be more happy with it!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Where to get window seals, headliner?? (Star Child)

As for the headliner, I had a local upholsterer do a custom one for me for around $100. I couldn't be more happy with it!!!
Nice! Was it a sunroof car?.. Think it even matters?

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote, originally posted by wwhalenc »
Nice! Was it a sunroof car?.. Think it even matters?

I don't have a sunroof... but no, I doubt it really matters. It's just a hole in the fabric after all

Custom headliners are sweet. It's a great way to add something to your ride that odds are nobody else has (if you choose fabrics/colors carefully) without spending a ton of money.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: Where to get window seals, headliner?? (NwRocco)

Quote, originally posted by NwRocco »
Where can I get a REAR window seal at?

Got a price from parts4vws (Potters) on that seal. $195. Doubt you'll find it cheaper anywhere else, but if you do please let us know

·
Registered
282 Posts

I know you guys might bust on me for saying this but check J.C. Whitney catalog; I'm being serious! They sell tons of different types of rubber seals for doors, hatches etc. They come in rolls and you cut them yourself and just seal that open seam. Anyways, I'm actually restoring an 80 scirocco right now & I noticed that one of the shapes that they sell through the catalog looks like the one that I took off my 80. I know it sounds cheesy, but i think I'm going to buy some different rolls through them & see if works for the doors and rear hatch..... I'm pretty sure knowone would ever notice, plus it would be fresh rubber, that you just can't find for these old cars. The side window scrapers are a different story.... those I'll probably break down & buy the correct ones, if I find them... someone said the Mk3 cars work for that. we'll see......

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: Where to get window seals, headliner?? ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
I know you guys might bust on me for saying this but check J.C. Whitney catalog; I'm being serious! They sell tons of different types of rubber seals for doors, hatches etc.

I think we were talking about the actual glass seals above... but as far I can tell the body-door/hatch seals on a MK2 are all the same so buying a big roll of the stuff would be quite a bit cheaper than buying the 3 separate factory seals.
Although the factory stuff isn't that expensive - I just bought the hatch seal (parts4vws) for $50 and the scrapers are only $38 a side.
The roof gutters, on the other hand...

·
Registered
282 Posts

Opps! I see that now... I was thinking of the inner door rubber.....Sorry about that! What you paid for those seals through Potters is a good deal. I need new roof gutter rubber trim for my 90 corrado.... & they used to be $150 for the pair (I think) through the dealer. The MkII scirocco has a similar setup, doesnt it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: Where to get window seals, headliner?? ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Opps! I see that now... I was thinking of the inner door rubber.....Sorry about that! What you paid for those seals through Potters is a good deal. I need new roof gutter rubber trim for my 90 corrado.... & they used to be $150 for the pair (I think) through the dealer. The MkII scirocco has a similar setup, doesnt it?

$90 per side.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I wasn't about to go this far and settle for wavy roof gutters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts