VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I should be working but vortex better. I picked up an IC for my turbo project. Almost new out of a 1.8T. (yes I know its small)
I am investing in matrix's stage I and would like to use an IC and start off with small amounts of boost. From what I understand you don't need an IC with there stage one.. but it cant hirt. So where should I mount it?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: where to mount my IC (H2oVento)

Put it into a sealed aluminum box to make it a Air to H20 or don't even bother..
Thats an Idea.. how do I go about doing that one.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (H2oVento)

quote:[HR][/HR]Put it into a sealed aluminum box to make it a Air to H20 or don't even bother..Thats an Idea.. how do I go about doing that one. [HR][/HR]​
Like this!

For more info..http://www.autospeed.com/A_0090/P_2/article.html

·
Banned
1,996 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (Go Go Green Golf)

quote:[HR][/HR]Put it into a sealed aluminum box to make it a Air to H20 or don't even bother..Thats an Idea.. how do I go about doing that one.
Like this!

For more info..http://www.autospeed.com/A_0090/P_2/article.html[HR][/HR]​
Then you only need it 1/4th the size http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (Gerapudo)

First you take your TIG welder,No wait,first you go buy a TIG welder.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (psi)

quote:[HR][/HR]First you take your TIG welder,No wait,first you go buy a TIG welder.[HR][/HR]​
No No just borrow somebody elses and make it a school project.
I hear that Speed is a fine welder/fabricator. Speed what would it take to enclose H20Vento's IC to make it a proper air to H20 setup? You were saying you could build a aluminum catch tank this can't be much different.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (speed51133)

quote:[HR][/HR]ok, i have the tig, then what?
[HR][/HR]​
I think what you have to do is put a clamp on on of your toes and then touch your 'nads' with the electrode. If that doesn't work reverse the process, clamp your 'nads' then touch one of your toes with the electrode.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (speed51133)

hi all....newbie to FI, and IC topics......so by sealing up your IC and charging it with h20 it gets cooler? so im guessing that i could get more boost out of a smaller IC?
now now, dont make fun!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (98vwgti)

quote:[HR][/HR]hi all....newbie to FI, and IC topics......so by sealing up your IC and charging it with h20 it gets cooler? so im guessing that i could get more boost out of a smaller IC? now now, dont make fun!
[HR][/HR]​
You don't seal the IC per say the core still flows air through in the normal way. Ie: in one end out the other. It is the core itself that is sealed and the h2o/glycol mix is around the core. The advantage is h20 has a coeffiecient of cooling 4-5X better than air alone so in theory you can have a core 1/3-1/4 of the size of an air to air. For more reading check this link out. http://www.autospeed.com/A_0084/article.html
and here is a pic of Spearco air to h20 units.

·
Registered
27,104 Posts

Bike rack! Bike rack! Bike rack! Bike rack! Bike rack! Bike rack!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

thanks GO GO....im gonna read that link, one other question.....I am getting a ATP stg 1....then over the summer (when theres a greater cash flow( I planned on upgrading to stg2 which has an IC etc....is it MORE advantageous to go with the h20 IC or just a larger IC...i know a larger costs more, and a smaller costs more to have that conv. done to it, but whats the pros/cons?
thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: where to mount my IC (98vwgti)

No such thing as a ATP stage 1 anymore. You can buy the parts but it is not reccomended as the charge pipe is to short so it to close the exhaust manifold fuel can boil and cause hot start problems. You are best to save up for an IC and the assorted plumbing. Personally I'd rather have gone with a air to h2o IC it is a lot easier to package in our engine bays and if you use ice in a resivoir you can get the charged air cooler than ambient temp which can mean a big differance in power on a hot day, especially for drag racing. I have the big ATP/Spearco front mount and on hot days with the A/C on it can really get the car to run wonky in traffic as there is no airflow over both the IC and in turn the rad so everything is that much more stressed. With a air to h2o IC you can take the heat generated by the IC and dissapate it through a smaller oio cooler sized rad somewhere else beside right in front of the stock rad.

·
Registered
613 Posts

I have a Charge cooler kit for the Corrado But the radiator for it goes in front of the AC condenser. It is a high air flow unit so as not to block much air. As for the resovor, it mounts in the factory IC location. There is a filler pipe that comes up through one of the holes in front of th battery. The filler is not big enough to get ice in, but I can make one with a bigger filler is you cut the hole in front of the battery bigger. I comes with a pump (17 gal/min) and all the wiring to make it work. I use the factory IC core and convert is to a H20 cooler. The cooler is simalar in design to the one the people may have seen on my bunny.

[Modified by Fast_bunny, 1:34 AM 12-8-2001]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.