VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'09 Passat, replaciNg with full Nav/DVD unit. Presently have Premium 7 sterio system w/o nav.
New unit came with a small GPS antenna; Question, can I use the existing "shark fin" antenna that came with the car? If not can, I just place the small GPS antenna in the dash, perhaps on top of the new sterio unit and will it work? Or do I need to run the antenna back to the trunk lid?
ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

· Registered
3,754 Posts
FV-QR

If you did NOT have NAV, then your sharkfin won't have a GPS antenna in it. You can replace it with a sharkfin that does, but then you need to run a new wire in the headliner back to the stereo for GPS.
If you use the "puck" antenna that the unit comes with, you want it to have a clear, unobstructed view of the sky for best performance. Putting it outside the car is the best. Behind glass is OK, but not as good. Under plastic is slightly worse. Any metal is very bad.
I don't know about '09 PAssat, but some '09 Golf and Jetta have a metal mesh "vent" in the center -- you do NOT want to put the antenna behind that mesh because it will probably cut down the GPS signal. Up on the dash is the best "Easy" solution.

· Registered
12,536 Posts
Re: Where to put GPS antenna? (Jstanovic)

I put mine up by the A-pillar corner check out my build thread.

· Registered
324 Posts
You want to mount the antenna so it has the best possible view to the sky.
When i do installs for Sattelite radios and gps, i either run them out the driver or passangeer side of the dash, up through the weather stripping, and tuck it under the windshield rubber and stick the bugger right in the center of the roof

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.