VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just installed my power wires and everything. im gonna post a picture DIY later tonight on routing amp wires. but first. i want to know if it's neccessary to put the fuse beside the battary? (every body does it. could i put it in the truck dear the amp?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: where to put the amp fuse? (Darrell)

why do you want it in the trunk? it has just as easy of access in the engine bay if not easier and it will look cleaner in your trunk with its not there in my opinion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: where to put the amp fuse? (Wolfdub)

The idea is the fuse is there to keep you from blowing up or getting zapped. You have the fuse near the battery so that the whole wire goes dead if it shorts and thus overloads the fuse.
Imagine you were in a side-impact with a gas tanker, fuel was spewing all over the place, and you had one moment to realize that the now kinked wire linked directly to 12v of red top goodness had the fuse right next to the amp... sparks, zaps, heat all over. Maybe even a movie-type "boom". If it were right near the battery, the fuse would blow pretty quickly and you'd have a shorter period or fewer sparks, zaps, etc.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: where to put the amp fuse? (jwfowble)

yeah that's what i though. i just mounted the fuse box on my struct walls. and the installation is done. saved me 50 bucks from paying audio store to do it. it was a clean install. pic will be posted on DIY

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: where to put the amp fuse? (Darrell)

Quote, originally posted by Darrell »
i've just installed my power wires and everything. im gonna post a picture DIY later tonight on routing amp wires. but first. i want to know if it's neccessary to put the fuse beside the battary? (every body does it. could i put it in the truck dear the amp?

having the fuse in the trunk will do nothing for you. If I recall correctly it should be aproxx 12" from the terminal, or was it 6"? Also just an FYI try to double the size in relation the the fuse on the amps. example: 2 amplifiers with 25 amp fuses go with a 100 amp up front, one amplifier with a 20 amp fuse go with a 40 up front. some may disagree, but in my experience, never had a problem. You can usually get a breaker style which may be a bit pricey at first, but when you pop a fuse a 3 in the am it's no fun waiting for the next morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts