VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: Where to run wires from engine to cabin through firewall (UKGTI)

Remove the lower panels (first) and black plastic sound shield under the steering wheel. In the upper left side of the foot well, there is a cable bundle about the size of a quarter that passes through the firewall. It is surrounded by a rubber grommet.
Carefully take a long philips (crosspoint) screwdriver and gently push it through along the cable. Now, take a straightened coathanger (or other stiff wire) and run it along the screwdriver as you pull the screwdriver back out.
From the engine bay, the cables come out under the cable trough in the vicinity of the brake booster. Locate the coathanger and bend a tight hook in the end. Use that to pull your wire into the passenger compartment. Again, do everything gently and if you get a lot of resistance, move things around a little.
The first time is always the hardest, but I've done it quite a few times now--fog lights, gauges, etc.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: Where to run wires from engine to cabin through firewall (UKGTI)

When running the vacuum line for the boost gauge, get a helper. While the helper gently pulls the screwdriver out, follow it with the tubing for the boost guage from inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Re: Where to run wires from engine to cabin through firewall (JettaRed)

quote:[HR][/HR]Remove the lower panels (first) and black plastic sound shield under the steering wheel. In the upper left side of the foot well, there is a cable bundle about the size of a quarter that passes through the firewall. It is surrounded by a rubber grommet.
Carefully take a long philips (crosspoint) screwdriver and gently push it through along the cable. Now, take a straightened coathanger (or other stiff wire) and run it along the screwdriver as you pull the screwdriver back out.
From the engine bay, the cables come out under the cable trough in the vicinity of the brake booster. Locate the coathanger and bend a tight hook in the end. Use that to pull your wire into the passenger compartment. Again, do everything gently and if you get a lot of resistance, move things around a little.
The first time is always the hardest, but I've done it quite a few times now--fog lights, gauges, etc.[HR][/HR]​
Definetly the easiest way, i've done it about four times for all different kinds of lights and stuff, never a prob. just make sure u don't push the rubber gasket thing off, it looks to be a real pain to put on again(of course i did it!)

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Where to run wires from engine to cabin through firewall (94jetta~~)

where is the best place to tap for power. I used to run straight to the battery. Is there open space in the fuse box to plug into. Also for lighting, which wire do I tap into off the dimmer switch. I tried to decipher the Bentleys wiring diagram but no luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.