VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Well I finally did it. I purchased a used Phaeton, but...it has some issues that I've started to sort out beginning with reading this forum most of my waking hours the last two days.

Here are my issues:

1) Transmission - jerks quickly from 1st, barely spends a moment in 2nd, before shifting into third. Jerks hard and lunges through this process all in about 2 or 3 seconds. Smooth as silk from 3 to 6th gear.

2) No-key-in-ignition or blinker chimes (therefore don't know what else I may not be hearing).

3) No owners manual so I haven't figured out how to adjust rear view mirror or seat belt height.

I've searched and read through many, many postings on the Phaeton forum and admittedly am worried about the transmission and no-key-in-ignition or blinker chimes.

If anyone who knows this forum well can direct me to where I can find solutions or indications of possible solutions, I will so very much appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
Hello Deb:

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forum.

1) Transmission - jerks quickly from 1st, barely spends a moment in 2nd, before shifting into third. Jerks hard and lunges through this process all in about 2 or 3 seconds. Smooth as silk from 3 to 6th gear.
I don't know exactly what would cause this problem, however, there is a post in the Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category) that is sort of a catch-all for 6 speed transmission concerns, here is a direct link to it: Transmission Discussions (6 speed, used on V8 Phaetons). There's about 6 pages of discussion there, read through it all and see if someone else has raised the same problem you are having.

2) No-key-in-ignition or blinker chimes (therefore don't know what else I may not be hearing).
Key in ignition chimes can be coded off. The 'ticking' sound from the turn signals cannot be coded off. So - while sitting in the car with the engine running and the doors closed, turn the headlights on manually (headlight knob fully clockwise), then shut off the engine and open the driver door. You should hear a loud beep indicating that the headlights are on. If you don't hear this, then you probably have a problem with the sound generator in the instrument cluster.

3) No owners manual so I haven't figured out how to adjust rear view mirror or seat belt height.
See the post in the Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category) entitled Store Settings for the Seat Memory buttons, key fobs, driver preferences (a complete how-to guide for setting up a new Phaeton).

In fact, most of the information in post #2 of the FAQ is directed at new owners and most of that information explains how the user-configurable options work and how to set the vehicle up. Take a browse through the posts that are under the heading Programming and Configuring the Phaeton After You Take Delivery - you will find a lot of good information there.

Michael

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
Hello again... a postscript...

Apropos of your question about the rear view mirror and seat belt height - I assumed you were asking how to store memory settings for those, and it is possible that you actually meant "how do I adjust the things... we'll get to memorizing them later".

To adjust the inside rear view mirror, just grab the thing and reposition it. To adjust the exterior rear view mirrors, use the knob on the left side of the shift lever. To adjust the height of the shoulder portion of seat belts, there is a long thin vertical bar at the aft end of the control panel for the seat. The control panel for the seat is located on the outboard side of the seat base. Hold either the top or the bottom of the bar to cause the upper anchor point of the lap belt (on the B pillar) to go up or down.

Once you have adjusted everything to your liking (mirrors, upper anchor point of shoulder belt, the various seat adjustments, etc.), press and hold the SET button on the outboard side of the seat for 2 seconds, release it, then press and hold one of the 3 numbered buttons just aft of the SET button for 2 seconds. This will store all the adjustments you just made.

Some suggestions: If you have more than one key for the car, assign one to each driver and don't mix them up. The keys recall the preferences of each driver. Also, start the car and leave the engine running when you make all the above adjustments, this will avoid running the battery down (which causes further problems).

Michael

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

Thank you for your kind directions. You are correct in your assumption regarding the need to know how to adjust the seatbelt height and how to adjust the rear view mirror. Had a chuckle with your reply to "just grab the thing and reposition".

I am going to take my Phaeton to a VW Dealership with a Phaeton Certified Tech this coming week and leave it with them to inspect and test and report their findings. Then I can prioritize what to do first, second, and third. I purchased this car with the intent to use for fun and the occasional vacation road trip. It's not likely to be my everyday car simply because I don't want to put unnecessary miles on it. Its at 69,750 miles right now. I want to keep it under 100K as long as I can.

I am so very excited about finally owning a Phaeton! Additionally I am so grateful to those who post to the forum sharing very important insights. I will contribute back to the forum as I journey through Phaeton ownership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts