VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to chop this thingy off but where is it? anyone got pics? will it really sound that much better? and any noticable hp gains or losses??? how did u take yours off?

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (veedub12vr6)

go to your local exhaust shop (Meineke, Midas) and tell them that you want to cut of a mid-muffler and have a straight pipe put in there. Once they lift it up youll see a big friggin muffler right in front of the rear axle, looks like a suitcase. that's what you want to get rid off, thing is heavy too. you can get rid of the hot dog too while at it.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (YZ)

I had the suitcase removed last sunday for $30.00 I was gonna do the hot dog too but wasn't sure how that would sound? how does it sound with the hot dog off? BiH? It sounds quite good with just the suitcase removed....my Gti just gained some attitude!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (_GoatPunishment_)

by suitcase you mean the muffler ?? and im guessing the hotdog would be the Catalytic converter right ?? I thoght you are able to unscrew the muffler off and get a straight pipe put in ? does it need to be sawed off ? Im asking cuz im thinking of doing this myself at home, im waiting to buy this thing that has diagrams of the mk3 first. But i thoght the muffler(the suitcase) is connected by screws to the pipe and i was actually hoping the same for the cat(hotdog). Does anyone know where i can get some diagrams of the exhaust system ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (ssvr6)

that is the "suitcase" ...lol I took everything off after the cat including the hotdog....had a 3" pipe bent till it came out the back and had a DTM muffler installed it sounds great without all those part and definately when you are next to a rice burner and you revvvv your car just hearing intimidates those hondas....I have an mpg of me running at 60 and dropping it into 3rd gear if you want to see it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (ssvr6)

quote:[HR][/HR]Here's a "crude" diagram of what you're dealing with.

Steve[HR][/HR]​
wow that thing looks big, is this euro setup ?? Im not sure if ive seen that on any car before, my other car just had the Resonator and a muffler(actually 2), is the suitcase a standard ?? One other question, if i take out the suitcase and resonator and leave the muffler does it still sound good ? i like the look of the muffler, it probably impeds airflow tho right ?

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (AndrewVR6)

The muffler is actually quite good, not bad for OEM part. Thing is it sounded funny in the morning when you start it up at cold start, sounded like a farm tractor.

It only lasts few minutes, till that secondary pump or whatever works at cold start up dont shut down then it just quiets down and sounds nice at idle. it sounded quite good without the mid-muffler (suitcase) and the resonator (hot dog) but then I got a good deal on thermal R&D cat back so I got that now, and the gutted kitty.

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (BiH)

ohh, forgot to add, you prolly wont be able to do it yourself, you need to bend the pipe, unless you get a whole bunch of pieces and weld them together or sumtin. It only costed me around $50-60 to have it done at muffler shop. it was money well spent. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (BiH)

I had my suitcase choped off today! I must say I amvery impressed!!!!! sounds unbelievably horny! Unfortunately my alarm stuck on 5 minutes later, activating the immobilizer, and now I have to wait untill next week to enjoy the sound again!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (Dave Marshall)

iam gettin more temped to take out the suitcase now< but my question is if i take out the resonator<hotdog> will that screw anythign up with the flow of excaust???thanks anyone

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (ToughGuy)

dunno, I switched to thermal R&D cat back before I had to take emissions test so cant really say for sure, but I think it will pass.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Re: wheres this d#$% suitcase handle??? (tastydub)

resonators have nothing to do with smog, their purely sound deading devices.... although it might lower the NOx to have a more free flowing exhaust http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.