VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my temp guage on my cluster intermittently works. i gotta stick my hand at the contact points in back of the cluster and rub it a bit and then it'll show the temp, sometimes it'll stay on, sometimes it'll turn back off. went down the street to get some coffee at the drive through stand, didn't bother messing with the temp guage, only a 1 mile round trip drive so whats could possibly happen? all i gotta say is thank god i installed an oil temp guage last week (my only other working guage besides the tachometer). was sitting there in line at idle, glanced at the oil temp guage and holy ****e, 140 degrees celsius! stuck my hand behind the cluster and sure enough, the temp guage rocketed up ALLMOST all the way to the top, prolly about 4/5 of the way on the guage, maybe a bit more. turned it off. got my coffee, luckily i was parked about 2 blocks from a fred meyer. popped the hood and somehow one of my waterpump hoses came off. took the cap off of the radiator and no pressure released, there was not one drop of coolant or water left in the system.. let the bastard cool off for a good long while, didn't wanna add cold water into a piping hot motor. bout an hour later put the hose back on and filled it up, all seems to be solid. oil a bit runny but no signs of the "milk" syndrome. drove it around a bit today, no loss in power, temps staying down low like they usually do, i think i got mucho lucky today

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: whew, close one today. (titeGTi)

well, thats just what i call it. when you look at your oil and it's got that creamed coffee look, i.e. blown head gasket.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: whew, close one today. (Weaver)

man you got lucky. One guy did that with his Vanagon and he drove it for like 2 miles with no water. Now he has a nice knock in the engine. And another guys wife drove the Vanagon same way even tho the buzzer and lights went off. Well she blew the engine so she got her new car that she wanted
. What a shame casue that van had new cylinder heads

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: whew, close one today. (Weaver)

a blown head gasket eh? will you get white stuff in your oil if you leave it out for a day or so before you go t recycle the oil? im just wondering b/c sometimes i get white stuff in my oil but thats after i leave the oil out for a little while.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: whew, close one today. (titeGTi)

thats normal, if it sits for a while you'll often get some condensation in the oil making the same visual affect. usually only happened in my cars when it'd sit for a week plus though. and even then, wouldn't happen all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts