VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the audi a3, and the a4 and I really can't decide.
I'm looking for something with:
awd
space
auto/tiptronic shifting
decent for maintenance
gas milage isn't a concern by the time I upgrade it i'm gonna get **** for milage
A good car to be seen in around town IE a job in banking.
Good platform for upgrades. I've had a really hard time with my current car finding upgrades. I think there's only one company that makes a turbo kit for it.
The a3 i'm looking at is this one
http://www.audichandler.com/de....html

Premium Plus Package
$2,000.00
17" (10) spoke alloy wheels w/225/45R17 all-season tires
illumination Pkg
(3) spoke multifunction leather steering wheel w/shift paddles
pwr front driver seat w/(4) way pwr lumbar
aluminum "Medial" belt line trim
storage pkg
Bluetooth hands-free phone interface
xenon plus headlights w/LED daytime running lights
or i'm considering a new a4 sedan premium with quattro and tiptronic and sport package.

2.0 TFSI® Premium with six-speed Tiptronic® transmission and quattro®
$ 33,550

Exterior

Brilliant Black

Interior

18" Sports Package
Leather seating surfaces
Black Interior

Modified by dj_cronic_metal at 12:37 AM 4-19-2010

Modified by dj_cronic_metal at 1:24 AM 4-19-2010

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Re: Which car would you go with (dj_cronic_metal)

A3 TDI?
A4 2.0T?
What are your criteria?
Practicality?
You need to be more specific

·
Registered
5,657 Posts

A4 without a doubt. The A3 is looking kinda dated already and needs a redesign.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: Which car would you go with (MrKevkevL)

Quote, originally posted by MrKevkevL »
A3 TDI?
A4 2.0T?
What are your criteria?
Practicality?
You need to be more specific

The link he posted clearly shows a A3 2.0T with quattro.
The A4 only comes with 2.0T now.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on guys 60 views and only 4 posts. I'm looking for feedback!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Re: Which car would you go with (GermaniuM)

Quote, originally posted by GermaniuM »
A4 without a doubt. The A3 is looking kinda dated already and needs a redesign.

New A3 is coming in 2011.
A4 B8 is relatively fresh.
Still it's apples and oranges but I'd go for the A4.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh forgot to mention its not huge but something to consider too. A4=45 bucks more a month to insure than my current car and the a3 is 4.72 more a month.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts

If the rather small difference in cost is manageable to you, go for the A4. I'd rather buy a Golf than the outdated A3 (oh, wait, I did!). I am certain that even my TDI has comparable handling to the A3, but better sound insulation, better seats, and much better rear passenger room. TDI or GTI, or A4 were my main contenders. Unfortunately, the A4 wagon does not come with a manual transmission, and that as well as the associated mileage advantage are just too important, for me - more important than having AWD in all of my cars.

·
Registered
'70 Chevy C-10, '00 Cherokee Sport, '20 Miata RF Club
2,067 Posts
Re: Which car would you go with (feels_road)

I'm kind of confused here. I presume that you want to upgrade due to some sort of business related reason (you mentioned a banking job). I also will guess that this is the reason you specify an auto (srsly, why else would you want one?!). Add that with your line about wanting to mod it (you mentioned turbo-something) it seems to totally negate the whole business aspect of buying the car, really.
Either way, my vote is A4 (w/ a 6 speed)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Which car would you go with (rsclyrt)

Nah my main thinking here as far as a job goes is I don't want to be rolling around in a honda working in banking/finance. Just looks like your a young stupid kid imo. It's not the only reason i'm buying the car by far but it's a plus that if people do see me outside of work i'm not rolling around in a rice rocket.
The auto is partially because of my wife. She needs to be able to drive the car and she doesn't do a manual well. The sport and tiptronic are plentty exciting enough for me without the manual. Plus it's nice for phoenix traffic which tends to move at a blistering 5 mph start and stop in some areas. Not fun to do uphill with a manual.
The upgrade part that I was talking about was wanting to do the stasis package to the car. ECU and a sport exhaust. Maybe some items later, but I want what car is more modable as far as the engine goes. I was explaining that with my car now there has been little after market support(example being that only one company has made a legit turbo kit for the car)I don't want to run into that problem in with my next car. I want whichever car has parts o plenty
Hope that clears that up for you thanks for the feedback so far. Looks like the a4 is winning by a mile.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

A4, but go for the Premium Plus. Its worth it.

·
Registered
44,112 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dj_cronic_metal »
I don't want to be rolling around in a honda working in banking/finance. Just looks like your a young stupid kid imo.
Being upside down with a bank note on a German depreciationmeister always impresses other bankers

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

A4
-The A3 is old, based on the Mk5 Golf GTI... You're basically better off with a Mk6 GTI.
-The A3 isn't Quattro... its FWD or Haldex
-The A4 has a much better ride quality to go with its handling
- The A4 is more respectable looking
- The A4 might actually have more trunk room (w/o folding seats). I found mine to be extremely practical
- The A4 is almost the same price as the A3

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Which car would you go with (ATL_Av8r)

ok well lets put it this way. I'd much rather take the guy who owns this car out for lunch to discuss his financial future in an a4 than I would feel taking him to lunch in a value priced honda. Also like I said work isn't the only thing I will end up using it for.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I own an A3 so I am biased............to the A4.
More room, better AWD, more for your $.
A3 is more of a drivers car imo. Smaller, more nimble, faster, etc.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Re: Which car would you go with (Live-Wire)

Quote, originally posted by Live-Wire »
A4
-The A3 is old, based on the Mk5 Golf GTI... You're basically better off with a Mk6 GTI.

Huh? Surely you're aware that the Mk6 uses the exact same PQ35 platform as the Mk5 and the current A3.
The primary differences are in styling, reduced cabin noise (which brings it in line with the A3, actually), and ever so slightly faster, lighter, and more torquey.
Quote »
-The A3 isn't Quattro... its FWD or Haldex

If Audi calls something a "quattro", it's a quattro. It's a marketing term. You might as well be saying that the A3 isn't an Audi because it's so similar to a VW.
Most people who think they can feel a difference between Haldex on an A3 and Torsen on an A4 are actually feeling the difference in grip offered by the tires. They do equally well in snow and ice, given the same tires.
Quote »
-The A4 has a much better ride quality to go with its handling
- The A4 is more respectable looking
- The A4 is almost the same price as the A3

These I agree with, though the A4 is becoming a conformist business suit, just like the 3-series has.
Quote »
- The A4 might actually have more trunk room (w/o folding seats). I found mine to be extremely practical

Oh, the A4 has loads more trunk space vs. the A3:

.... but you don't buy the A3 for its practicality, you buy it because it's a a hoot to drive and it looks really good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: FV-QR (UNBANNED_GERBIL)

Quote, originally posted by UNBANNED_GERBIL »
Definitely the A4. It's a nicer drive.

with space as a requirement, i think you need to recommend what you have yourself, an a4 avant!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts