VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys... Im in the market for a new clutch for my vrt. I just stripped my 3rd gear the other day so everything is coming out again and ill be putting in my 3L and getting another tranny w/quaife and i want to put a new clutch in it...

Which clutch kit should i get? Right now i have the Clutchnet 6puck with their x2red PP with a stock flywheel... holds 400whp 450wtq with no problem... (its the trans that sucks... lol )

would a lightened flywheel benefit a vrt in any way?

setup is :
8.5:1 SP 3L, stock o2a with quaife, 6262 or S364, short runner intake manifold, tial bov, 3"exhaust, Lugtronic standalone, 630cc injectors @4bar, 044 pump/surge tank/-6 or -8 lines

500 to 600whp is the goal (more with a better gearbox... SQS)

Thanks
Paolo

:banghead::beer::thumbup:

· Registered
296 Posts
I think a lightened flywheel and a puck style clutch are a bad combo but a full face(southbend) and light flywheel are fine. no chatter on my southbend stage4 vrt setup. motor mounts will have an effect on the chatter also.
also, a turbo setup that spools later(laggy) will be easier on third gear, mine won't boost below 4k and no problems yet with the tranny

· Registered
11,806 Posts
VRTs tend to dislike lightened flywheels. You will end up getting a lot of chatter between the clutch and the flywheel. The OEM flywheel works just fine.

Mike
Truth! Stick with the Clutchnet setup, I've had it hold up close to 600whp for over a year now with no problems

· Registered
1,809 Posts
Truth! Stick with the Clutchnet setup, I've had it hold up close to 600whp for over a year now with no problems
I cant belive that your drivetrain have been holding up so good ;) It just amazes's me :thumbup:

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks guys for all the replies... so should i go with another 6puck or go with a 4puck this time around? paired with their 2xred PP and stock flywheel...

yea, my current turbo is the PT61 with the .69exhaust housing so full boost comes really strong at 3800-4000

i will also add a short runner intake manifold of some sort to lower the torque a bit, im sure the 3L will have enough @ 30psi :D:thumbup:
:beer::thumbup:

· Registered
2,630 Posts
I am using the same clutch kit with no problem, 6 puck is fine, you will need a different turbo to get to 600WHP, you better get a bigger back house before you up the boost, it is puting a lot of stress on your tranny, stay with stock flywheel. get ready for a new set of race gears.

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
yup it will get a new bigger turbo and maybe 1000cc injectors but maybe not cus it will just make me want to turn the psi up bcus i know the fueling can support it and end up breaking everything lol... :screwy::laugh:

there is a few turbos im choosing from: 6262 with .81 :) ... the S362 that is in the classifieds with the 3.5" downpipe :thumbup:... the S366 and the 6765 billet

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
your a crazy SOB lol......

yo to be honest with you man... you need to start thinking about going AWD with that kind of power... at this point all your going to get is wheel spin my man... AWD that car

if it spins it spins... if i want an awd car i would get a talon or an evo and have my friend turbo tony work his wonders with it... or it would be in another car which i wont do cus my jetta is who i am :screwy::laugh::p

· Registered
11,806 Posts
I cant belive that your drivetrain have been holding up so good ;) It just amazes's me :thumbup:
I don't drive it like I stole it, that's the key :)

· Registered
17,432 Posts
I don't drive it like I stole it, that's the key :)
quoted for truth

If your clutch works just keep it

I went from southbend (that was not made for the tq i was throwing at it) to an ACT 6 puck sprung - after my 3rd pressure plate the thing has been excellent. In fact ACT had pretty good service too. Just sucks i got 2 PPs from the same bad batch :mad:

Car drives like a dream on the street - im also using an autotech lightened flywheel - made a hell of a difference and i would say get one but its personal preference.

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i do have an autotech lightened flywheel and i was thinking on putting that on my 3L, but people say LW is not so very good on vrt's... i guess ill go again with the clutchnet 2x red PP and their sprung 6puck...

juice- why do you like the LW better than stock?

· Registered
17,432 Posts
i do have an autotech lightened flywheel and i was thinking on putting that on my 3L, but people say LW is not so very good on vrt's... i guess ill go again with the clutchnet 2x red PP and their sprung 6puck...

juice- why do you like the LW better than stock?
revs quicker - not by much but i noticed it - its great for rev matching when im on a twisty road

other than that there really was no other benefit - maybe a little quicker acceleration

· Registered
2,630 Posts
revs quicker - not by much but i noticed it - its great for rev matching when im on a twisty road

other than that there really was no other benefit - maybe a little quicker acceleration

quicker acceleration, less rotation mass but also drop the rpm faster, you will have to learn how to work on that gas pedal better, on your take off or the car will sometimes stall on you.

· Registered
17,432 Posts
quicker acceleration, less rotation mass but also drop the rpm faster, you will have to learn how to work on that gas pedal better, on your take off or the car will sometimes stall on you.
that too

imo it made the car more fun to drive - as for stalling out - yes and no - if you come off of WOT at 5500+ and push the clutch in - it will stall out

however for most daily driving its fine and you would never notice it just putting the thing around

if my old clutch didnt weld itself to the flywheel id probably not have a lightweight one right now :laugh:

· Registered
678 Posts
that too

imo it made the car more fun to drive - as for stalling out - yes and no - if you come off of WOT at 5500+ and push the clutch in - it will stall out

however for most daily driving its fine and you would never notice it just putting the thing around

if my old clutch didnt weld itself to the flywheel id probably not have a lightweight one right now :laugh:
I agree, i'm using a 4.5kg FW, and i took 1kg of my crankshaft pully.
Made my car less lazy like the vr's tend to be, it's jumpy on the gas etc.

You'll only encounter idle problems when coming of WHOT as you state.
I can drive around with my car on idle in 5th gear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.