VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (Amdek)

gravel... wait, is that common?
List common road surfaces

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (All_Texan)

common road surfaces...
asphalt
concrete
cobblestone
gravel
dirt

my guess is concrete

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (ShockWaveVT)

I would assume that wear rates would vary depending on traffic volume, type of traffic (light vs heavy), relative ambient temps, etc.
I the desert SW we use a mix of asphalt not common to other areas in the country due to the standard stuff literally melting.
way to many factors unless you're specific.....

·
Registered
16,243 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (lsinlv)

road surfaces around here are mostly ascrete

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
nails?
j/k. I've heard concrete is especially tough on car tires. Steel grating used on bridges isn't kind either, but those are rarely longer than a few hundred yards.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

High traction surfaces like Shellgrip. The roads in Scotland are pretty harsh in places, they leave the agregate standing proud of the surface, it's loud but it drains well, provides excellent grip and grates the surface off tires. I put 1/3 life on a set of front tires on my old 1.8GL Passat in a single three day weekend in Scotland, but I drove a lot faster then.
In general higher grip surfaces are more noisy and wear tires faster. Conversely a good clue you are on ice is that the road noise goes away.
Very cold snow wears things out rapidly too.

·
Banned
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (lsinlv)

Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »
I would assume that wear rates would vary depending on traffic volume, type of traffic (light vs heavy), relative ambient temps, etc.
I the desert SW we use a mix of asphalt not common to other areas in the country due to the standard stuff literally melting.
way to many factors unless you're specific.....

...assuming all variables on each road r the same.

u jus gotta break it down for some people I guess.

Modified by All_Texan at 11:44 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
15,173 Posts

Concrete has a higher coefficient friction than asphalt

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

Asphalt always wears out the fastest.
Asphalt is much softer than concrete which also means that the road warps a lot more. Concrete on the otherhand is about twice as expensive as asphalt, but lasts nearly twice as long. It is used conditionally because it cracks very easily when the temperatures change. They can support much more weight than asphalt which is why they are used on freeways and airport runways.

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (vw_ev73)

Quote, originally posted by vw_ev73 »
Asphalt always wears out the fastest.
Asphalt is much softer than concrete which also means that the road warps a lot more. Concrete on the otherhand is about twice as expensive as asphalt, but lasts nearly twice as long. It is used conditionally because it cracks very easily when the temperatures change. They can support much more weight than asphalt which is why they are used on freeways and aiport runways.

beat me to it!

·
Registered
3 old cars
4,330 Posts

[edit] doh! vw_ev73 got there first
[/edit]

I'd say it's asphalt.
The highways and roads built with concrete last for years, but are very expensive to repair, patch, or replace.
Asphalt is quicker, easier, and cheaper to lay down, but is not nearly as durable.
In my mind, I only consider concrete and asphalt to be the most "common" surfaces. Despite the fact that I've spent many years living in a small rural town where dirt, gravel, cement treated gravel, and oiled gravel are the order of the day.

Modified by MkIII at 3:45 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
11,729 Posts

blacktop...asphalt.....cheap but not as durable as a good concrete road. the best road surface would have to be a tar and gravel road like in my neighborhood its lasted years.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (roccostud)

in my old stomping grounds of yakima, wa they put this gravel stuck to tar on the roads to give better grip in the snow and ice. i hate the stuff because it cuts about half the tread life of my tires.
it's just there for the people who don't know how to drive in the snow and the people who are too cheap to buy snow tires.

just read the previous post and they must be using something different over there because the stuff they use in yakima starts to come up after just a year and goes downhill from there.

Modified by G0to60 at 1:43 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (matt007)

yeah...so going fast on the freeway/highway will kill your tires...it does last a while though

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Re: Which common road surface wears out tires the fastest? (G0to60)

Im drawing a blank on what its actually called, but it's a mixture of smooth stones and gravel and just about every hard material, often found on Islands...at least in New Jersey beaches...its very good at drainage. It seems to me that it would be hard on tires
oh yeah macadam its called but i dont know if i spelled it correctly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts