VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my GTI (2.0 8V)and so far it has proven to be a great investment. I am looking for an exhaust that will help with performance, but doesn't have that fart-pipe sound that most rice-burners(euro, Japanese and American) have. I would actually like something relatively quiet. I don't want to advertise to the whole state that I have mods done, just the guy I show my taillights to. Tips don't matter too much as I will fit a tip that is the same size as the pipe. Speaking of which, how does 2.25" sound for diameter? I think 2.0" might be better to keep the low end strong. Already thinking about a cam, but thats another question. Which one?

Confucious say: Man who stand on toilet - high on pot.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Which Exhaust is best? (Clean97GTi)

Okay, I have to admit, I wanted to haer 2.25"
(Please don't make fun of me, I am very new to import performance)
As far as TT with Borla, I know that Borla makes AWESOME exhausts for Camaros and 'Stangs, but what do you mean by TT? Is it a company or is it in reference to the Audi?

·
Registered
35 Posts

Heya. you might also want to check out neuspeed's exhaust system. i swear by that company. and it's not at all ricey. mine puts out a smooth 70 decibels, it's considerably quiet but still nice sounding. know what i mean? check it out. http://www.neuspeed.com

Keep Driving,
- Amy

·
Registered
844 Posts
Re: Which Exhaust is best? (jettagrl)

I'll explain a little better - - - you want low tone? heres the answer.
TT(TechTonics) 2.25" piping w/ Borla stainless AND 2 resonators.
GREAT Sound and I'm sure I can get backed up on this.
Go here http://tttuning.com/ and have a blast

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Which Exhaust is best? (Prognosis)

please correct me if I'm wrong (and I may be) but wouldn't resonators make an exhaust louder? Maybe I'm not making the association, but doesn't low-tone=fart pipe? Most of the "low-tone" exhausts on imports that I've heard sound like a moose enlarging its a%*hole. Honestly, the factory system is just about perfect as far as pitch goes. Its also quiet. I want to be able to hear my passanger(s) when they're riding with me. Then again a better performing albeit slightly louder exhaust wouldn't be bad. With most exhaust sitting at about $300 bucks a piece, I'd hate to buy one and have it sound like...well... the afore mentioned moose.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

This is my delema also.I have a 2 year old riding around in that car 80% of the time. He falls asleep sometimes.....dont wanna scare the crap outta him when I hit 5000 RPM....
I know people have their preferences and live by it but this is not a general question. for the best sounding or lowest tone. Basically a little louder than stock.....thats it. Hard to generalize when theres no sounds for me to compare it to.....think thats the problem.
So many help web pages on how to this, that and the other. Would be cool if someone was able to put a nearly exact recording of pipes at certain RPM's....would be hard but would be A VERY USEFUL website/link......my 2 cents.
Is there a 2.25 that is designed just like a stock exaust?....like plug and play(stupid I know...sorry) I mean its only a .25 in diameter diffrence...that would require more additions to the exaust system???

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Re: Which Exhaust is best? (DUHSHET)

Here are a few exhaust sounds that i found on google when i was debating about buying my TT exhaust. If you want real quiet maybe just buy a stock VR6 exhaust from a vortexer? It has to be slightly modded for a 2.0 from what i gather though. Don't even try the dealer for this part. They want $285 and thats just for the muffler.
http://www.venommotorsports.com/members/car_sounds/

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Re: Which Exhaust is best? (¥BlackNight¥)

Some of you guys have to realize that the VR6 and the 8V have different outputs and therefore two different tones. The VR6 will be louder than the 8V, so, you can't compare the 8V systems to the VR6 systems.
Clean97GTi asked about a system for an 8V...the TechTonics system with a Borla muffler is highly recommended. Living in the South, you don't need a full stainless system. The resonator gives the necessary backpressure, an additional resonator helps to quiet the system.

[Modified by DUBMON, 8:06 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
125 Posts

I just got the TT w Borla, 2.25" piping and 2 resonators for my A3 Jetta 2.0 (about 1 week now). It sounds great inside and out! My main concern when I was looking for an exhaust system was the loudness of it and keeping my car looking stock even after mods. I didnt want to set off car alarms (my nneighbors would be pissed) or give myself headaches on long highway trips. This system is actually very quiet. It has a low deep tone not like a tin can and it dosent have a very noticable drone on the highway. So you dont have to raise the volume on the radio to block it out!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Re: Which Exhaust is best? (ja)

quote:[HR][/HR]I just got the TT w Borla, 2.25" piping and 2 resonators for my A3 Jetta 2.0 (about 1 week now). It sounds great inside and out! My main concern when I was looking for an exhaust system was the loudness of it and keeping my car looking stock even after mods. I didnt want to set off car alarms (my nneighbors would be pissed) or give myself headaches on long highway trips. This system is actually very quiet. It has a low deep tone not like a tin can and it dosent have a very noticable drone on the highway. So you dont have to raise the volume on the radio to block it out![HR][/HR]​
There you go!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts