VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which head would be better suited for a turbo application between the 1.8 and the 2.0. From what I learned here was that in stock form the 1.8 head flows more than the 2.0 due to its intake ports, but I would assume the 2.0 head would be better suited for a turbo due to its better exhaust ports and the intake wouldnt matter as much since its now having its intake charge shoved into it. Or would the difference be very minimal. Would it be worth it to switch back to my original 2.0 head?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Re: which head is preferred for turbo (DOHC Golf)

It's hard to believe it's going to matter all that much on a boosted motor. Turbocharged motors are in a whole nother league of their own when it comes to issues such as flow rate, etc.
My thoughts have been to use the head that has the smallest intake ports to try and preserve whatever low end, off boost responce I can. The port size won't matter once you cross the boost threshold.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: which head is preferred for turbo (Andrew Stauffer)

I'd use the 2.0 head. Smaller intake ports isn't a good idea... you're just choking the flow. Yes, you decrease low end torque by opening the intake up, but in the big picture.. your best off to port it out.
The 1.8 head does flow in better stock, but the 2.0 head has more meat to remove!

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Re: which head is preferred for turbo (DOHC Golf)

I would only do a ported head with a turbo. Either one would do fine. More effiency makes for higher output at a given boost level.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: which head is preferred for turbo (Action Jackson)

quote:[HR][/HR]AFAIK, not a direct bolt-on. The oil passages don't match up.[HR][/HR]​
they don't... but so what? bolt-on and turbo don't rhyme when you're talking about force induction on a motor engineered for natural aspiration.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]AFAIK, not a direct bolt-on. The oil passages don't match up.[HR][/HR]​
someone on here had a very detailed site about a 20v head on a aba block. he just plugged the oil drains that weren't in the block, he had many pics, not sure what the name of the site was

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: which head is preferred for turbo (austin neuschafer)

quote:[HR][/HR]AFAIK, not a direct bolt-on. The oil passages don't match up.someone on here had a very detailed site about a 20v head on a aba block. he just plugged the oil drains that weren't in the block, he had many pics, not sure what the name of the site was[HR][/HR]​
the site address was posted by Killa.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: which head is preferred for turbo (THE red rocket)

intake port velocity means alot to a turbo. You can lag the piss out of a turbo system by porting it for say n/a or blower.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
The 1.8 head does flow in better stock, but the 2.0 head has more meat to remove![HR][/HR]​
Think about this statement for a second, and then ask yourself why a 1.8 and 2.0 head flow the same cfm once fully ported.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Re: which head is preferred for turbo (130_R)

Action Jackson's head porting rhetoric is on the money for a normally aspirated motor, but with a turbo forcing it in, port size is small potatoes. Notice that I did not it's of no consequence, because it ALL matters in the long run, but there are bigger fish to fry. A stock 16v head with stock 16v cams is an excellent candidate for a turbo motor. Smaller intake ports are groovy because they'll increase air velocities when not under boost, helping the motor feel less "doggish" below the boost threshold(where you'll spend most of your time anyway, unless it's a track-only car). And once under boost, at 5 or 10 or 15psi, the air is going through that intake like crazy, no matter whether 1.8, 2.0 ported or no.
Again, it's probably splitting hairs. Many successful motors have been built using either head. The choice of head won't define the motors performance. It all has an influence on the final results, but this, in the bigger overall picture, is small potatoes. Potatoes, btw, *must* be mashed if they're going to flow at all........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts