VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So which car do you guys think performs better overall? The 2002 GTI 1.8T or the 2002 Saab 9-3 SE? Both are FWD turbos with the GTI having 180hp and the Saab 205hp. Both are practical cars with big hatchbacks and with sport suspensions. Both appear to be great buys at their respective price ranges (Saab essentially dropped the price of the 9-3 SE by $5,000 for 2002 vs. 2001).

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Re: Which is a better performace turbo car: GTI 1.8T or Saab 9-3 SE? (onetreehill)

Saabs are BAD ASS... but they are in a different class than VW's.. beautiful cars... i love em... im not sure which one would perform better since the Saab is not AS performance oriented as a GTi would be comparatively...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Which is a better performace turbo car: GTI 1.8T or Saab 9-3 SE? (GTI628V)

I actually test drove a Saab, even though I have a dub on order, just to see if I liked it. It was a nice ride, lots of power. The gearbox was interesting, takes a little getting used - not hard to drive or anything, it's just a little different. I liked the overall feel of the Jetta better. The German ride plus I felt more in control of the car while driving the dub. Both are good cars, the Saab probably has the edge in terms of long-term quality, but I like the styling and feel of the Jetta much more. my $0.02

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Re: Which is a better performace turbo car: GTI 1.8T or Saab 9-3 SE? (bdw31)

Saab 93 will be a lot faster than a GTI 1.8T... handling and road feel GTI wins.. My friend has a Saab 93 his car is faster than my jetta vr6. I drove his car though, and I dont like it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Which is a better performace turbo car: GTI 1.8T or Saab 9-3 SE? (onetreehill)

My wife has the 9-3 SE and it is pretty nice. Because of their lack of popularity, you can get a pretty good deal on a fairly well equipped car (leather, cd, power seats, etc.). Two issues I've found with the car are fairly serious turbo lag (noticeably more pronounced than the 1.8 T) and occasionally annoying torque steer. The car also has a solid, heavy feel, that might turn you off. It certainly doesn't feel "tossable" like the GTI. Other than that, no serious issues in one year of ownership. My wife loves being one of the few and proud 9-3 owners around. give it a test drive.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Saabs are in a different class than the GTIs, also, a 9-3SE should be a lot faster. Not to mention the 9-3 Viggen.. which is awesome.

·
Banned
3,090 Posts
What kind of answer are you expecting here? You could ask people which was better a McLaren F1 or a eurovan, and 9 times out of 10 people would rationalize how the eurovan was a better value and with $300,000 worth of mods it would be superior to an F1.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Re: Which is a better performace turbo car: GTI 1.8T or Saab 9-3 SE? (amarshall)

quote:[HR][/HR]What kind of answer are you expecting here? You could ask people which was better a McLaren F1 or a eurovan, and 9 times out of 10 people would rationalize how the eurovan was a better value and with $300,000 worth of mods it would be superior to an F1.[HR][/HR]​
LOL I'm putting that quote in my sig!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

The Saab is a nice ride but they typically have poor trade-in value. In the car business they refer to them as Sob stories. But that considered, the Saab is a great car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Which is a better performace turbo car: GTI 1.8T or Saab 9-3 SE? (amarshall)

Forget that, just get the Renault Espace F1 and smoke the McLaren F1....bone stock of the showroom floor. And carry 3 guests along to enjoy the show
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I test drove both and felt they both had about the same level of performance (acceleration, handling, etc.) although the steering and shifter on the Saab felt a little vague. Yes, there's still about a $6,000 price difference between the Saab 9-3 SE and a comparably equipped (i.e., fully loaded) GTI 1.8T, but the Saab has a little more of that elusive quality know as a "luxury car". Taking luxury aside, I was wondering how other people felt strictly on a performance basis side-by-side. Also, I was wondering if other people felt the extra $6,000 was worth the little bit of extra luxury (and I highlight little bit). Personally, I do not. Especially now that they have the exact same warranty coverage. BTW, I hear both cars have quality/reliability issues.
Thanks to all that have commented so far.

[Modified by onetreehill, 5:04 PM 11-26-2001]

[Modified by onetreehill, 5:47 PM 11-26-2001]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.