VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to discuss this topic for a while. There are two videos I've seen that made me ask this question: the GTI big turbo burning to the ground after an oil line leak, and the several Ferrari and other high end major failures. Both on the extreme ends.

Which is more reliable or more reasonable to maintain? A well built nuclear reactor 4-banger, or factory high powered sports cars? You always hear about the few failures on the internet vs all the success of products. But this is true for both of these vehicles.

Overall though, I'm still taken aback by the amount of epic failures and outrageous maintenance costs of some of the high power factory motors.

$250 for an oil change? $2500 for a brake job? $15000 once warranty is up and your Porsche dumps the transmission out due to that bearing issue? Destroy the transmission on your GTR?

It's pay to play. I get that. But for an $80k or higher sports car I would expect a little better durability.

After the initial build, a lot of tuned cars spend less time in the shop for repairs and put many more miles on the road than some sports cars.

These are two different classes, like PBR vs. Dom Peringnon. So, if that's the case, what gives?

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
oem is more reliable than aftermarket builds basically 100 percent of the time. it doesn't mean you can't find some shining examples of oem turds (maserati biturbo comes to mind) but that is the exception not the rule.

A big turbo GTI's days are numbered, even if done right. That is if you truly mean big turbo.

·
Banned
11,664 Posts
One aspect that the modders generally ignore is resale:

If you have a $20k Golf with $20k worth of aftermarket parts, after 2 years you decide to sell, you have a $15k Golf with about $5k worth of aftermarket parts if you're lucky, that you probably have to strip off the car to part out and sell.

If you have a $40k CPO Cayman, after 2 years you probably have a $35k CPO Cayman.

·
Banned
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If long living builds are the rare exception, we've had a great success rate locally. Among cars daily driven on a big turbo setup, about 6 out of 7 lived until sold or parted to take on new projects.

Either type of car will suffer with abuse or bust when raced hard. But for some reason it feels daily driven, well built, tuner cars are often equally or more reliable and durable than factory sports cars.

I'm not favoring the 1.8t. I own one, but would rather have something else instead due to some of the quirks.

The best example I can think of is maybe a GT35R Evo: Oil change at home, $45. Probably upper 20's low 30's mpg. A lot of people daily drive them and just add gas and change the oil for years.

The reason I think this phenomenon may hold a little truth is that the factory sports cars, even very expensive ones, still have a budget to hit. Therefore price vs. performance vs. durability has to have compromises. A lot of tuner buillds replace these suspect factory weaknesses with good solutions.

Not talking resale....I get the pay to play thing. I'm talking only reliability/durability.

·
Banned
308 Posts
One aspect that the modders generally ignore is resale:

If you have a $20k Golf with $20k worth of aftermarket parts, after 2 years you decide to sell, you have a $15k Golf with about $5k worth of aftermarket parts if you're lucky, that you probably have to strip off the car to part out and sell.

If you have a $40k CPO Cayman, after 2 years you probably have a $35k CPO Cayman.

OP is interested about the cars reliabilty more so than resale. But he also mentions maintenance costs so i guess your post can stay ;)

Though i've never owned, im assuming the high end sports car will be much more reliable. However, the whining puffing 4 banger is definitely the cheaper way to go as far as cash/hp ratio. It also will be cheaper to maintain since you will log on to TCL and we will guide you step by step so you can DIY :D

·
Registered
21,776 Posts
You can drive a bone stock Corvette at any trim level and beat the crap out of it and they won't complain unless you do something truly stupid.

I've dumped the clutch in my car probably over 200 times and it just never quits. The C6 Z06/ZR1s are extremely tough and you'd hard pressed to find a 4 cylinder tuner car done right enough to run lap for lap with one reliably.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.